Windows XP 64bit BSOD 0X0000007E

willpew

I am not super familiar with computer stuff but I did build my machine (about a year and a half ago). I have not added or changed any hardware or software recently. I am running XP 64 bit (was running I should say). I have had Windows updates available for a long time (months at least) that never seem to install even when I restart, or try and force the machine to install them (I think I was still running SP 2).

Stop Error message is typical BSOD the code at the bottom in its entirety is:

STOP 0X0000007E (0XC0000005, 0XBAA48750, OXBACC342C, 0XBACC3128)

That's it, no driver info or anything. I have snooped around this and other sites to try and find a solution to no avail. I downloaded the ultimate boot cd per a suggestion on this or another site, but don't really know what to do with it. I cannot start in safe mode or in last known good configuration. I have run chkdsk /r and performed memory test and CPU test from UBCD but didn't get any errors there either.

I am beginning to think that either I have a virus or the OS is somehow corrupt. If I buy Windows 7 can I upgrade and install over XP without losing my other data on my HD? ANY help will be GREATLY appreciated!!!

How to find and post your Minidump Files:

My Computer > C Drive > Windows Folder > Minidump Folder > Minidump Files.

It is these files that we need (not the folder). Attach to your next post the five most recent dumps. Notice the Manage Attachments button at the bottom when you go to post the next time. You can Zip up to five files per Zip; if you only have one or two you don’t need to zip them, just attach as is. Please do us a favor and don’t Zip each one individually.

Have you run a harddrive diagnostics yet (I'm not talking CheckDisk here)?

memtest needs to run at least a minimum of 7 times and the more after the better because often errors don't show up until later Passes.

I will run mem test again. Is the harddrive diagnostic on the ubcd? I will run it if so and post results. Any other tests I should be performing?

The best scenario for running a harddrive diagnostics is to go to your HD's manufacture's website, find their free HD diagnostic utility, burn it to a CD and boot it like you would memtest. Make sure you especially run the long test.

OK, ran Memtest86+ v4.10 again, definitely no errors.

FYI:
Athalon 64 X2 3100 MHz

L1 cache: 64K 24218 MB/s
L2 cache: 512K 4697 MB/s
L3 cache: none
Memory: 7935M 3522MB/s
Chipset: AMD k8 IMC (ECC Disabled)
Settings: RAM: 442 MHz (DDR885) / CAS : 6-6-6-18 / DDR2 (128 bits)

Going to run hard drive diagnostics now...

Except of course for the damn blue screen error which prevents me from using my computer at all...

Give us the following:

1. Hardware including make and model of components.

2. Your OS.

3. The security software you have installed.

4. Any changes or updates whther drivers, hardware, or software.

5. When the Blue Screens come up what error codes are given and do they cite any drivers in particular?

Just thought I would throw this out there FYI...

I tried everything I could think of after countless hours searching the internet for solutions to my problem. My gut feeling was there was a problem with my OS, but I was unable to repair with the XP disk I had, I may have misplaced some crucial disk, but I don't think so. I finally decided to try a fresh install of Windows 7, selecting to keep my files. I performed the install and my machine is up and running again!

I have no idea why I got the BSOD, but I think there was some MS update that installed (or perhaps one that didn't but should have). I had tried rolling back installs, but like I said I am no computer genius and I was having to doo all of this from DOS as I couldn't even start the machine in safe mode.

Long and short of it is, I like Windows 7 64 bit, better than XP-64 bit (machine seems to be running faster), I have all my old files, although I have yet to try and get my mail back up and running, and if others have similar problem with no apparent solution, this worked for me. Only downside is my old version of Adobe Acrobat doesn't seem to work, so I can no longer edit and create PDFs, but that is something I rarely did anyway, my old Photoshop CS works fine.

Good LUCK and thanks to Route44 for trying to help.

Back