Windows XP Home all icons changed to IE icons

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello,

I have a problem with my win xp home edition:
all the desktop icons, control panel subfolder icons have changed to IE icons, IE itself dosn't work, none of the desktop shortcuts work, also some of the control panel options (Administrative tools, add/remove programs, security center) dosn't work. If I click original IE icon , ie only flashes once and immidiatley closes same with controlpanel programs.
- on the control panel list are working only admin.tools, folder options, fonts, etc. but strategic programs like firewall, system inf., add/rem. prog, security center don't work
- tried scanning with antivirus, found some problems but that didn't help
- tried system restore: 2-3 minutes desktop icons were normal again, but control panel programs didn't work however, then icons changed back again
Does anybody have had the similar problem with your xp home?
Is there any way to make it work without formating harddisk?

Thank you

Yes I tried, first was like everything is ok, but in 2-3 minutes everything changed back to the picture what i saw before system restore, it has to be some kind of virus running on computer.

Thanks

Thanks you all for reply's actually it was problem with exe files, exe files were changed to .lnk, made some registry entries and got all needed data out of it, but all efforts did not solve the problem so I had to format harddrive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back