Windows XP install hangs during "copying files"!

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just built a new system!

Some specs:

GIGABYTE GA-7VT600P-RZ VIA KT600 DDR400
AMD Athlon XP 3200+
1 GB PC3200 DDR400 Ram
Nvidia FX5500 256MB DDR 8X AGP
LiteOn 52x32x52 CD-RW / 16x DVD-ROM Combo Drive

During the Windows XP installation it will just hang at 16%, everytime. It is during the "copying files" part of the installation and it's always while coping the same file. The file is "asfsipc.dll". I even tried a different copy of XP, same problem.

The only thing I have found so far is the following link, but I am not sure if I understand what's being talked about or how to use the smartdrv command

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=296814

Any help is greatly appreciated.

PS.: The only thing connected to the PC was a keyboard (not using USB). Nothing else connected (well, besides a monitor).

Same issue

Benji,

I am having exactly the same issue except that my machine does not even make it to the copying files stage, setup is fine formatting drive etc but then it hangs as soon as setup starts to write drivers etc to the HDD.
It looks like my spec is almost identical

Giga-byte GA-K8NXP-SLI
1Gb DDR400 RAM
Athlon XP 3200+
LG Combo DVD RW drive
PNY PCI-e 128Mb 6600GT
Maxtor Diamond Max 10 160 Gb SATA
etc

I can't find any help in the windows knowledge base, or Gigabyte or Maxtor.

If you find any resolutions please let me know!
Other wise it was a very expensive paper wieght!

Phil

If you are able to format and partition the drives ,Copy the CD to any Partion not your O/S and install from there.
Sometime Cd's are fauly/scratched/dirty

I had this happen to me once. I don't know how this worked but I first partitioned it with FAT as the file system and then reformated again with ntfs. If this works tell me or it might of been a fluke when I did it LOL

Hmmmm......................AHA!

Guys tried both these solutions.

Sorry LiquidLen, the CD was fine. Anyway often the file that was transferring when the PC crashed was the SATA drivers from the floppy.

Fileit - It was a fluke.

But, a mate gave me an idea. The BIOS is factory loaded with nothing attached to the MBoard, especially the SATA drives etc (which is where I am convinced the problem for me was).

So Connected up all the hardware that was going into the new PC - i.e. the opposite of what you did to begin with Benji (disconnecting everything except keyboard & monitor).
Then downloaded drivers etc from Gigabyte support and flashed the BIOS with all hardware attached.
Hey presto, one copy of Windows XP currently installing.

Let me know if it works

Shortnstumpy said:

Sorry LiquidLen, the CD was fine. Anyway often the file that was transferring when the PC crashed was the SATA drivers from the floppy.

Fileit - It was a fluke.

But, a mate gave me an idea. The BIOS is factory loaded with nothing attached to the MBoard, especially the SATA drives etc (which is where I am convinced the problem for me was).

So Connected up all the hardware that was going into the new PC - i.e. the opposite of what you did to begin with Benji (disconnecting everything except keyboard & monitor).
Then downloaded drivers etc from Gigabyte support and flashed the BIOS with all hardware attached.

Let me know if it works

Yeah I figured it was a fluke LOL. I think there was something wrong with my CD or Hard drive when that worked for me. I think it was my hard drive though. Thanks for the info. I will try this out if it ever happens again. :knock:

Shortnstumpy said:

Fileit - It was a fluke.

Let me know if it works

Hmm ... how did you download drivers from Gigabyte and flash the BIOS when you don't have a operating system? Can I download the drivers and flash the BIOS from a CD that I would burn on another PC?

I am confused on how you did that!

Please let me know, when you get a chance! I really need to get mine running!

Thanks!

Benji,

Some Gigabyte boards have BIOSs with flash facilities within them (like mine), not sure about your exact model.

But go to
http://www.giga-byte.com/Motherboard/Support/BIOS/BIOS_List.htm
there is a how-to guide that shows you how to do it (PDF files)
i) from within BIOS.
ii) from windows
iii) from DOS prompt

So you could create a DOS boot floppy etc etc.

You can then download the BIOS update, extract to a different floppy - i.e. follow the guides!!

Hope that helps.

I should also probably note that there are plenty of disclaimers on the giga-byte website noting that you do this AT YOUR OWN RISK.

I think I should also add, that just coz things went fine for me and it worked, there are no guarentees for you (if you accidently screw up the BIOS for example).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back