Windows xp hangs +15 minutes to reboot

Fjordman1995

I am trying to retire the old xp machine. Still has files and software I need to use occasionally, but the last 2 times it has taken more than 15 minutes to shutdown.

I don't have any install disks, but would go on ebay and buy one if necessary. It isn't connected to the internet, but can be.

Can someone save this old computer?

Thanks in advance,
Warren

Do Not Connect to Internet - stay safe

#1 Backup Data
#2 Backup programs (and installers of programs)
#3 Check Disk
#4 Cleanup and Defrag

This may be enough, else consider DOSBox on top of Windows 10 (I run a couple of programs from the early '90s this way) and WINE in top of Linux and Windows XP mode (from Microsoft) on top of Windows 7 (might work on 8 & 10, don't know).

It depends mostly on your programs - which may or may not run well in 'strange environments'.

Microsoft had a fix for slow shutdown with XP but it's no longer an OS they support and was dropped from their website. Search for a download of Microsoft User Profile Hive Cleanup Service 1.6g.
If you have never changed the hard drive it's maybe almost full or on the way out. Reinstalling XP would be a very long job.
Using XP as a virtual OS running in Windows 10 works extremely well but again the installation is a long haul.

Last edited:
Back