Windows XP keyboard and mouse won't work after boot up

Hello, I have an old windows xp cpu and after the boot up the keyboard and mouse stop working. They work perfectly fine when I am in the BIOS setup they only stop working when I am trying to log on. I have tried booting in safe mode and I still have the same problem. Any advice is welcome, I just really need to get this fixed.

Many thanks in advance if you are able to help.

Well, sometimes the most obvious thing is the problem. It could be that either the keyboard and/or the mouse could be bad

So, I suggest substituting.both parts, and try that. A bad mouse wil destroy the "driver", (software which runs the devices). Windows should reinstall the driver at every boot up, but a bad device quickly takes it out again.

There could be other bad Sh!t going on, (Bad C;/ drive, malware,etc), but you'll have to rule out the mouse and keyboard first.

If you can't get into the machine, you can always download a "live" version of Linux to a USB drive, go int BIOS, set the boot order with USB as 1st, (instead of C:/), and restart with the USB drive in place..

A bad video driver will cause the same symptom. Assuming you have the same issue after replacing the K & M, you can yank the video card, and hook the monitor up the board's IGP, (if it has onboard video),

Last edited:
Well, sometimes the most obvious thing is the problem. It could be that either the keyboard and/or the mouse could be bad

So, I suggest substituting.both parts, and try that. A bad mouse wil destroy the "driver", (software which runs the devices). Windows should reinstall the driver at every boot up, but a bad device quickly takes it out again.

There could be other bad Sh!t going on, (Bad C;/ drive, malware,etc), but you'll have to rule out the mouse and keyboard first.

If you can't get into the machine, you can always download a "live" version of Linux to a USB drive, go int BIOS, set the boot order with USB as 1st, (instead of C:/), and restart with the USB drive in place..
I know for sure that it's not the mouse and keyboard because they work perfectly fine everywhere else, matter of fact I'm using them rn. Also thanks, I'll try the USB drive. Also do you have a link or suggestion on where I can get the "live" version of linux?

Last edited:
Dont forget that when Win Xp is first installed, there are no USB port drivers and the only mouse and keyboard connections that work are the PS2's ( green and purple multi-pin sockets)
hope this helps

Back