Windows XP Not Loading Correctly

Status
Not open for further replies.

oli8925

Hello everyone.

I have been having a few problems with XP booting up recently and it has been very slow so ran through the 8-step virus removal and have the logs attached.

Norton managed to fix a tracking cookie but also found a trojan horse that it said 'cannot be removed from an unsupported file.'

What should I do next?

Thanks, Oli

Attachments

• Step 4.txt
    2.7 KB · Views: 6
  • step 5.txt
    566 bytes · Views: 5
  • step 7.txt
    17.9 KB · Views: 5
What are the boot up problems you're having> other than being very slow to load? You have way too much starting on boot and that's not going to change until you stop the unnecessary processes.

Please verify: If this your ISP?
inetnum: 158.152.0.0 - 158.152.255.255
netname: DEMON-NET
descr: DEMON INTERNET

You also want to remove these from Global Startup- that means that each of the processes starts up no matter which account is signed on:
O4 - Global Startup: Adobe Reader Speed Launch.lnk = C:\Program Files\Adobe\Acrobat 7.0\Reader\reader_sl.exe
O4 - Global Startup: AOL 9.0 Tray Icon.lnk = C:\Program Files\AOL 9.0\aoltray.exe
O4 - Global Startup: Dell Network Assistant.lnk = ?
O4 - Global Startup: Digital Line Detect.lnk = ?

I need to know what the problems are before dealing with the log.

To start with, on start up, i was getting an error message that said something along the lines of 'explorer.exe failed to initialize.'

This meant the windows desktop screen consisted of nothing other than the background. No start menu, no icons, no taskbar. The only way i could access programs was via shortcuts and Windows Task Manager.

Other than that I'm afraid i couldn't tell you anymore off my own accord without direction.

As for the ISP, I am with Demon and from GB but I can't confirm the number. Where can i find this?

Could you also direct me to removing those processes from global start up? That would help a lot, one reason why i dont like dells so much is the amount of rubbish thats on the computer when it gets to you!

Thanks, Oli

i was getting an error message that said something along the lines of 'explorer.exe failed to initialize.'
This should have been in the first post, with the exact error message.

I would then have told you the following: Look in the Event Viewer and see if there is an Error that corresponds to the time you get the message. Errors are time-coded:

Start> Run> type in eventvwr

Do this on each the System and the Applications logs:

• [1]. Click to open the log>
    [2]. Look for the Error>
    [3] .Right click on the Error> Properties>
    [4]. Click on Copy button, top right, below the down arrow >
    [5]. Paste here (Ctrl V)
    [6].NOTES
    • You can ignore Warnings and Information Events.
    • If you have a recurring Error with same ID#, same Source and same Description, only one copy is needed.
    • You don't need to include the lines of code in the box below the Description, if any.
    • Please do not copy the entire Event log.

Errors are time coded. Check the computer clock when message shows.
So do that first.

Please download ComboFix HERE:
  • With ComboFix, at the download window, please rename it to Combo-Fix(.exe) before downloading it.
  • Please disable all security programs, such as antiviruses, antispywares, and firewalls. Also disable your internet connection.
  • Run Combo-Fix.exe and follow the prompts.
    (Understand that things like your system clock changing and your desktop disappearing might happen. Do not worry, because all will be restored later.)
  • Wait for the scan to be completed.
  • If it requires a reboot, please do it.
• After the scan has completed entirely, please post the log here. The log will be located at C:\ComboFix(.txt)

Do not click on the ComoboFix window, as it may cause it to stall.

CF disconnects your machine from the internet. The connection is automatically restored before CF completes its run. If CF runs into difficulty and terminates prematurely, the connection can be manually restored by restarting your machine.

Attach any corresponding Error you find and the Combofix report. Please run a full system scan with your antivirus and if anything is found, please save the log and attach with next post.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back