Windows XP Professional version not valid after 1 1/2 years

cableman

I bought a computer from my local Goodwill Store (The section that deals only with computers and computer related parts, etc.) and now after a year and a half I get a message on my screen saying that the dealer install of Windows XP Professional is now not authentic. I could fix the problem with a new install but I am taking online college courses and the remainder of my homework is due tomorrow. This problem has already cost me my entire English Thesis Paper that will have to be redone not to mention the remainder of my work that would not have been a problem turning in on time until this fiasco of a problem!!

The store is of no help and we ended up into words that now have burnt a bridge that didn't matter. They put a coa sticker on the computer when they refurbished it to Windows XP Professional but left out half the numbers to correct the problem.

I hate to do it but I have other computers with Windows XP Professional with the complete COA sticker on them if I only knew how to fix the problem.

I have called Microsoft and they are rude and definitely of no help. All they want is for me to buy Windows 7, they claim that they don't even help with technical support on Windows XP unless I can provide all the information. I hate them!!! They only want to sell you something you don't need yet when you don't have the money.

I am running a Dell Optiplex 330 with a dual core processor (2.0 GHZ each) and I have 4gb of RAM installed with a good video card with 1gb of dedicated video RAM.

Please help me with a fix or I will get 0's on the work that I need to turn in and this will ruin my grades in my classes while I am trying to better myself. I don't care how I just need a fix. Please anyone who can help, I am in your debt. I believe I just need to somehow enter a correct Win XP Professional number so it will validate it.
I have valid numbers for Windows XP Professional from other computers I have parted out.

FIrst thing I need to know! Can you even use the computer because from what I've gathered you're saying you can't? If you can't use it the second question is do you have another computer? If you could answer these questions that would be great! If you believe that all you need is another COA sticker to validate it then try to locate one.

Yes I can still use it for now but when I try to change the key I keep getting a screen wanting a code from a call in to microsoft. I do have another computer but I am taking classes online and I am on a deadline Please help

Something sounds fishy!

You now claim to have purchased this machine from Goodwill but, in your post here on May 3, 2011, you claimed it came from eBay. https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic164671.html

It appears to me that you are trying to scam good people into helping you to steal. The only advice I personally will offer is for you to try and get into law school. I believe you will need it.

This is a different computer and I don't lie like most people and I don't like the insinuation. I seriously needed help to fix my problem so I could turn in my classwork on time and I don't need your accusations.

If you must know I buy and sell computers sometimes because I am home bound and that is the only way for me to make a few bucks.

Here is the COA sticker even though it is not very clear. At this point I am insulted and don't much care what you think.

I thought this forum was to get help, I have done nothing wrong and get accused of something. Why didn't you just ask me?

You are a smart alec and a really rude person, you should be banned for posting accusations before you know the truth. I actually think a virus got into my registry.

What do you want trouble maker? I have receipts and can prove that the Goodwill store installed windows xp professional.

People like you will cause this site to lose business.

With the way the world is and the beating I take for standing up for what is right, I detest you for the conclusions you jump to.

You shouldn't be allowed here and if I can I will report you if it makes any difference.

In the post you are referring to I was having problems with a video card that was purchased from ebay not the computer. Get your story straight before making accusations.

You owe me a HUGE apology. I strongly suggest you read the post you are referring to before you use the information inappropriately again.

You are a bully and you don't belong in any help section.

I want an apology for your mistake and false accusations posted for all to see because you have falsely accused my name under the defamation, libel, and slander law.

Attachments

• 100_1073.jpg
    100_1073.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 4
  • 100_1074.jpg
    100_1074.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 4
Still sounds fishy to me.

-- Even if Windows reports that it is *not valid*, you could still use the machine and "do your homework." Microsoft, by law, is not permitted to "kill" or otherwise completely disable your machine even if they determine their software to be stolen.
-- You have been around here long enough to demonstrate that you are not a complete newbie regarding computers. You say yourself that you buy-and-sell them. Therefore, I concluded, and continue to believe, that there is something "fishy" about your request because: (a) You surely know where to find the Key for any installed version of Windows; and, (b) If homework-completion were really your pressing need, you would simply complete the work on one of your other computers and then solve solve this "problem" at your leisure. Quote:
"I hate to do it but I have other computers with Windows XP Professional with the complete COA sticker on them if I only knew how to fix the problem." (c) Noting your stated hatred for Microsoft (" Ihate them!!!") and your desperation, am I to believe that you have not already tried plugging in one of the other keys to which you have access? Really?

However, if I am wrong and, indeed, have been falsely accusatory, then, as apology, I make this offer publicly:
Provide me photos of the Service Tags for at least two Dell Optiplex 330's with a dual core processor (2.0 GHZ each), a copy of the receipt from Goodwill showing purchase of one such machine on-or-about 18 months ago together with a screenshot of the Computer Properties page of the "problem" machine. If, on their face, these items appear legitimate, then I will IMMEDIATELY, an in any event, within two (2) hours, provide you download links to THREE of my own, legitimate, completely legal, paid for files: One for WinXP Pro-Sp2; and one each for Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit and 64bit. I will include their respective Keys and a bill-of-sale showing that I transferred same to you as a gift.

You may choose to PM me for privacy or post here. I will check at 1630 and 1830 GMT-5, Saturday, November 12, 2011.

This offer is made with full legal authority and responsibility, and is irrevocable if the terms are met within six (6) hours from 1430 GMT-5, Saturday, November 12, 2011. Thereafter, this offer is void and of no force and effect.

jmjsquared is right, even if your copy is not authentic, it should still be operable. It certainly wouldn't have destroyed an English paper you were writing.

cableman said:
I have windows xp installed and I have a video card that has 1024 mb of ram. I am unsure of the brand of video card or further specs. I bought it off of ebay some time ago.

jsquared, i'm fairly certain he meant the graphics card in this post you're referring to, and I don't believe he's ever mentioned having more than 1 optiplex 330.

While I too believe you jumped to conclusions due to a failure in comprehension and came off as rude suggesting he study law, he is taking this way too seriously. It's not like you made libelous comments against his ACTUAL person, as we have not ascertained any personally identifiable information, so he has no reason to get all worked up because he couldn't get FREE help on a forum.

jmjsquared is right, even if your copy is not authentic, it should still be operable. It certainly wouldn't have destroyed an English paper you were writing.

Also, this ^

Okay. But, only one bite of crow.

jsquared, i'm fairly certain he meant the graphics card in this post you're referring to, and I don't believe he's ever mentioned having more than 1 optiplex 330.

While I too believe you jumped to conclusions due to a failure in comprehension and came off as rude suggesting he study law, he is taking this way too seriously. It's not like you made libelous comments against his ACTUAL person, as we have not ascertained any personally identifiable information, so he has no reason to get all worked up because he couldn't get FREE help on a forum.

Also, this ^

herpaderp: You may be right that I misunderstood to what cableman was referring in his May 3rd post. I deduced from my (mis)reading that there should now be two Optiplex 330's in his possession. However, that was only part of my reasoning in concluding that something "fishy" was afoot.

Again, if cableman proves me wrong, I stand by my above offer, which I hereby amend from "two" to "one" Dell Optiplex 330's with a dual core processor (2.0 GHZ each), and will beg his forgiveness.

I am worked up because I have been falsely accused. How would any of you feel if you were accused in this manner. I don't feel that I have overreacted; if you don't stand up for your rights then they get taken away and once someone claims you are doing things illegal or the wrong way then the damage is done no matter what retractions are written.

As far as getting my work done I told you the problem is affecting my system making me think I have a virus possibly originating in the registry and spreading. Again you call me a liar. I have had enough of your insults, when I get time after turning my schoolwork in I will find the receipts and any necessary documents to prove my innocence. I am not doing this for you, I am doing it to keep my good name. I don't expect you to believe a stranger but I am an honest person and stand on my moral grounds. You may say I overreact but I have had enough of corrupt people turning the truth around to make innocent people seem at fault while the criminals get away with their endeavors. This problem is keeping me from using some of my software programs that I need so you call me a liar when I say there is a problem. You still assume that I am to blame for something illegal or wrong, And you wonder why I am mad and you claim that I over react. I do so because I stand up for my rights and don't allow people to bad mouth my name. As a matter of fact you only have 12 more posts than I do so I don't see you as any type of authority on any subject concerning computers. You can take my anger as over reacting if you wish but let someone make statements against your character and see how you react. If you do nothing then you are either guilty or a coward.

I am trying to tell you people that the problem started with the message of a pirated copy of Windows but the problem spreads to other software programs

Can you not understand that some type of mal-ware or virus is at work here?

I am also not mad that I couldn't get free help. I am in a bind because my homework has to be turned in in a few hours and now I don't have the time. I don't know about others and I mean no disrespect but I am trying to get a degree so I can get decent work, In this economy it is tough to get a good paying job and I am looking toward my future.

I had hoped that someone had run into this problem before and could help me fix it without having to re-install windows. I pay my way, this forum just happens to be free so I resent that remark since you don't know me or my value system.

I am going to prove to all of you that what I have said is true as soon as I can finish my schoolwork today and get the receipts,etc. scan them and get them posted. I do this only for me and my good name not for any of you accusers that had no right to bad mouth my name. You didn't even read the post you tried to accuse me with. Any advice from you would be questionable at best since you don't do your homework and just jump to conclusions as it suits you. Best of luck with your attitude because while I won't be needing a lawyer you may need some counseling.

You try to use my own words against me but just because I am mad at Microsoft does not mean that I want to use pirated software. If I wanted to input another windows xp code I could do that myself but I choose to fix the problem instead of cheating. The other computers I was referring to are ones that are parted out and inoperable.

I realize my statement was somewhat strong but I gave no indication of wrong doing, to the contrary I stated that I did not want to do that sort of thing and needed a proper fix. I hate Microsoft because they integrate so many programs that they force you to use if you are using windows. I believe in freedom of choice not someone forcing me to use software that I might otherwise choose another.

My desperation was to turn in my homework before getting 0's but you have contributed to that end so thanks for nothing except false accusations. And I STILL DON'T HAVE 2 optiplex 330's

I hate to thank you for the offer of a gift but I have these things, I needed help fixing a virus or mal-ware and you can't believe that, you just keep calling me a liar and needing proof. Well, you will get your proof but I want nothing in return from you but a genuine apology. You can't go around accusing people of wrong doing just because you have some kind of issues. Maybe somebody did you wrong. Join the club, It happens to all of us but it shouldn't change you into an overly accusing person because we all have had bad things happen to us or been taken advantage of. I thought that this forum was a place where people could help each other with their problems without things like this happening. I will find another forum because of you but get some help.

I keep telling you that this is some kind of virus and affects software programs on the computer. I told you that it caused my English paper to vanish but you people keep on calling me a liar. I am really getting tired of that so stop.

Okay.

I truly did not intend to offend you as deeply as apparently I have. Please excuse me and accept my apologies for causing any distress.

My offer stands. Perhaps the extra copies of Windows will be helpful to you in the future or you can give them to a friend.

-- There is a "Manifest" in each copy of a Windows Installation CD/DVD/etc., and any key must correspond to that Manifest. Any other key will be recognized as "Invalid". So, inputting 'random' COA-sticker keys will never work.
-- Boot into Safe Mode and try a "System Restore" to a point before the "virus infection". If that succeeds, then, to make sure the "virus" is dead-and-gone, run a virus scan from a bootable cd/dvd/usb. Kaspersky, Norton, etc., etc., offer them free.

Questions: What programs has this 'invalid' problem disabled/affected besides, of course, Windows itself?

Finally, my being an info tech neophyte, I am constantly amazed and humbled by the breadth and depth of knowledge of many of Techspot's members. If you have a problem with me, let it remain with me. Don't "throw the baby out with the bath water" and deprive yourself of this valuable resource.

Final words on this matter.

It is now 20:22 GMT-5 and I have not received any PM's this date nor have I seen here a substantive reply to my offer, which is now null and void according to its terms.

I have done work for Goodwill Industries in the past and, having not burned those bridges, until 19:00 GMT-5 when they close here, I could have verified the existence of any retail transaction with them.

I believe my offer's life span was reasonable because cableman alleged to have contacted Goodwill regarding this "problem" and, therefore, must have had his "receipt" at hand to solicit their help. In addition, despite herparderp's pointing out an error on my part as to the number of Optiplex's cableman claimed he owns, cableman himself was able to produce photos of COA stickers and post them here. He could have photographed the ONE Optiplex's Service Tag and its purchase receipt and posted them here or PM'ed me. Also, assuming this "virus" wiped out his ability to do a screen shot/capture of his Computer Properties window, he could have photographed that, too.

In the spirit of my last post, I simply withdraw from this matter without stating or restating any opinion.

Since you're so sure that it's a virus/malware problem on your machine, why haven't you posted in the Virus and Malware Removal board? There are people there who dedicate their spare time to helping people like you. Also, stop this crap about people badmouthing you/soiling your good name, it's a disposable online identity, not your birth name. You could have avoided all this just by posting in the proper board, being concise and waiting for a response to your problem.

Agreed with above. Once it was established in this thread that running a pirated version of XP isn't causing your other problems, you should have taken your problem to the virus and malware forum, the people that post there are far more qualified to help regarding those problems.

Reading 500+ words spread out over 4+ of your posts in a row gets tiresome, so I don't blame anyone for having difficulty following every little bit of your issue. It would have been simpler after a bit for you just to come out and say something like "Ok, I believe that my other problems aren't caused by my pirated copy of XP (since it worked fine for 1.5 years). But, now I believe its a virus/malware problem, can I get some help on that?"

I agree that maybe this could have all been handled in a more friendly manner, but to be fair, the most important post in a thread is the first post. In your first post, if you go back and re-read, you losing your English paper and having issues with school work had no implication it came from anything other than your invalid copy of XP.

you are right and I did run the virus removal tools. And again I am being called a liar by some because I haven't posted receipts. I have been busy trying to fix my problem. I tell you one thing: a pirated copy won't completely destroy windows which is now my problem. I know that there are a lot of people out there that do wrong but I am seriously getting tired of being called a liar by some. That is crap, what if I called them liars on their problems?

Back