Windows XP reboots on shutdown

oct714

Need some sugestions on this problem:

I just did a clean windows install on an old gateway computer, and everything runs fine, except for the fact that when trying to shutdown, it seems it is about to do it, but it restarts again. I have looked everywhere for a fix with no success.

I have disabled the "automatically restart" option in case that an error is causing this, but I don't see any error message. I also checked the event viewer, and there is not a single error there

These are the details of pc:

Pentium 4 1.9Ghz
256 MB rambus pc800... sooo low, I know
80Gb HDD

Windows XP Home Edition SP3 fully updated
MS Office 2003
Nero 6.3
MS media player 11
Avira antivirus
Adobe reader
QuickTime
Adobe Flash Player
Winamp v5.5

I should say this pc belongs to a friend on my friend. The pc was painfully slow, with no access to internet, full of junk software, and shutting down automatically because the power supply fan was stopping due to a layer of dust on it. I cleaned it and now it is running fine & cool.

I have done fresh windows installs on many pcs, and this is the first time experiencing this problem, so I am even doubting the issue with the power supply might be related with this issue.....any sugestions?

Thanks for your help Mark.

Unfortunately the problem is also in safe mode. And I just found out this: I tried to run the command "sfc /scannow" but it asks for the windows xp original disc right away. It does not matter how many versions of windows XP Home Cds I insert in the drive, windows will says the cd inserted is the wrong cd. I already tried with a different ODD, and also i tried copying several versions of the i386 folder to the hard drive....but same result..it continues asking for the windows xp home ed sp3...Its weird since just a couple of daysago I reinstalled everything.

I will not wait any longer. I will erase the partition in the hard drive again and I will reinstall everything.

When you run sfc /scannow you need to use an OS disc that is at the same service pack level so that it matches what you have on the PC. You can slipstream SP3 onto a copy of XP.

Anyway, lets hope that the problem is resolved by the clean install. If the problem repeats I would take a very carefull look at the chipset drivers you are installing for the mobo.

Back