Windows XP reformatting problem

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, the reason why I'm formatting my computer is because of a virus, that literally took over my computer, it's like it doesn't belong to me anymore! I can't even access my own session or anything, so formatting and a fresh start sounds good to me! .Im no professional in computers but I looked up some guides and I pretty much know the steps to format my computer. However, my problem is from the very beginning of it all. I already changed the boot sequence to CD-ROM and when I turn the computer on with the CD already in (Windows XP Professional SP1) I get the message 'Press any key to boot from CD' ..I press any key and nothing happens, my keyboard is not USB, after a while my keyboard starts beeping everytime I press a key and the cd never starts. The pc is a Dell Dimension 2400 Series Pentium 4 - 2.20GHz

I have no idea what's going on..any kind of help would be GREATLY aprecciated..!

Are you using the Dell recovery set?
This is often the problem of the Dell hard drive... after all, it is about five years old, or more, now.
Other problems with the Dimension 2400 are power supply, cpu fan, and optical drives... you might want to experiment with a borrowed optical drive, then a borrowed hard drive.

As I stated before, dont know much about computers so, what is a recovery set? . an optical drive? . Just wanna know...
The computer has 5 years or so..do you think the actual problem is the hard drive.?

A recovery set is a one to seven CD disk set with Windows, Drivers, and programs, that allows you to restore your computer to original specifications. Sometimes it comes on a hidden partition of the hard drive from which you then burn the recovery set. Usually, though, it is a three disk to five disk set that has Windows on one disk, drivers and other hardware installs on disk 2, and miscellaneous programs on the other disk(s).
This is important because it helps you restore the computer to the way it was when you bought it. However, it does not help you recover the data, files, email, etc that you have been using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back