Windows XP repair problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

beerabuser30

A friend with minimal computer knowledge gave me a laptop to see if I could get it to work. When you boot up I can an error that says "stop: c000021a fatal system error The windows logon process system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0x0000005 (0x00000000 0x00000000). The system has been shut down"
At first I tried all startup modes including safe modes, and last known good configuration but the bsod came up everytime. I looked up the error and it says that is a problem with system files. The suggest fix was to do a repair installation. This is where I have problems, everytime I am doing the repair the computer shuts down, but never at the same place in the repair. I thought maybe it was a hardware issue but I can boot and it will sit at the bsod forever without turning off. The only thing he told me was that he thought he had a virus. I don't know about doing a clean install because he said he has a lot of pictures he wants to keep. I also tried two different copies of xp just in case one was bad. Any ideas or suggestions?

New hard drives are so low in cost nowadays that you might get ahold of one and replace.

Or use an external USB drive, either 2.5 or 3.5 and save all the files to that external then be sure you haven't missed anything such as email addresses, accounting files such as Quickbooks... Of course you must verify that you have all the install disks for all software... and all your drivers are downloaded to some place where you can access them.
Then remove the partition and start over with the new clean install, knowing that you have the back up

Install the new drive, and hope it works, Install everything, then put the old or questionable drive in a USB HDD enclosure. You will be able to see everything on that old drive from the new drive... drag and drop or whatever you need...

The enclosure then become a handy part for future fixes.

This is a problem since it is not my computer, I just want a quick fix. If I take the hard drive out can I install it on my Windows 7 desktop and just move the pictures? I just tried booting from a usb drive, and a knoppix cd. Both times I had random shutdowns.

I switched the memory sticks and tried it with just one or the other. I also pulled the hard drive and wanted to try it in another laptop but of course the plugs are different. Any more ideas?

We haven't tried every possible way, but the external USB enclosure (comes in both EIDE and SATA versions) works for us and they are available as cheaply as $9.00 but as high as $24. I could recommend a number of vendors.
For our clients it is usually the easiest way, but certainly not the only way.

Look at Directron.com, Computer Geeks.com, Newegg.com, frys.com, TechDepot.com, CDW.com, pcmall.com, zipzoomfly.com, tigerdirect.com, SWS Electronics, or most computer computer parts online

Acomdata and Vantec Nextstar3 work best for us, but there are others much lower in cost that work fine for a one-time job.

Well I ended up doing a clean install. Everything went smoothly except the driver install for a few things. I can deal with most but I cant get on the net with it yet. It is a gateway 450rog. Network controller, ethernet controller, pci modem, video controller and multimedia audio controller all have problems. I went to this page, http://support.gateway.com/support/drivers/search.asp?st=pn&param=3501734, and downloaded the first one under network downloads and downloaded and installed the first one. Still nothing, any ideas?

Looks like all the Gateway drivers are there...
Start first with the Chipset, then go down the line and reinstall everything...
Then take a look at the device manager to see which, if any, still have yellow, red, or gray flags by the devices... Then reinstall those....

Often with Gateway, you have to read the install instructions for each driver very carefully, and some must install in a certain order.
Good luck. Sorry it is a pain on the Fourth

I still have these damn yellow flags it is annoying so I am reinstalling the drivers. The way I got the OS installed was to pull the battery. I always had it plugged in, but when the battery is out it works for some reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back