Windows XP restart issue

I have read a couple of XP restarting issues on this site but none seemed to help. Let me make everyone aware, I'm terrible at computers so you will get everything little step by little step. When I start it, the screen pops up saying, "Micronpc" cause thats what it is. This is normal. Then goes to safe mode, which is not normal. Bring up the start normally, start with prompt, and load last good setting. Selecting start normally makes the computer go to the "Windows XP" dark screen as you see it loading. Then nothing.It just goes back to the micronpc screen. I tried safe mode but that results in the same action, as does load last good setting. I read somewhere on here to push "f8" at the first screen so I did and it came up with many options. Along with the safe mode options are enable boot login, enable vga mode, directory services restore mode (windows domain controller only), debugging mode, disable automatic restart on system failure, reboot, and return to OS choices menu. The site I read said to disable the failure restart option. So I selected that. A blue screen pops up, though I'm not sure if its the bsod because if i recall, that screen always said, "windows has preformed an illegal operation..." or something along those lines. This one says:
A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
unmountable_boot_volume

if this is the first time your seen this stop error screen, restart your computer. if this screeen appears again, follow these steps:
Check to make sure any new hard/software is properly installed.(nothing has been
installed recently)
if problems continue, disable or remove any newly installed hard/software.(which i can't do anyways)
Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing.
If you need to use safe mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press f8 to select advanced start up options, and then select safe mode.

Technical information:
***STOP: 0x000000ed (0x85ce5c08, 0xc0000006, 0x00000000, 0x00000000)

Not sure if thats a code for anything or not.

restoreguard.c o m/p/0x-0xc0000006.html?keyword=0xc0000006&gclid=CNqFgIuxrKYCFYQUKgod6hdHnQ

I found this by copy pasting the entire letter and numbers after the STOP into a google search and came up with that. The page talks about downloading something and repairing the computer but I can't download anything on my XP computer so I don't know if it would do me any good. Plus I don't know what that is I'm downloading and I'm sure not putting my Dell Vista laptop at risk of something I don't know.

I also don't have a windows xp disc. I bought the computer from someone else like 4 or 5 years ago. Anything else I can do?

have you try going into safe mode? does it work that way?
to do that do the following:
Turn on PC and keep pressing F8 key untill you get a black menu:
then select safe mode
if you can get into safe mode "OK" then I would suggest you do a system re-store by going into: Programs>accesories>System tools> system restore then select a date from which PC used to work fine.

Let me know how it goes.
Mm

have you try going into safe mode? does it work that way?
to do that do the following:
Turn on PC and keep pressing F8 key untill you get a black menu:
then select safe mode
if you can get into safe mode "OK" then I would suggest you do a system re-store by going into: Programs>accesories>System tools> system restore then select a date from which PC used to work fine.

Let me know how it goes.
Mm

no nothing happens. It acts like it is going to load. After you select safe mode, the screen changes to the windows xp logo and then the screen goes black and restarts again.

no nothing happens. It acts like it is going to load. After you select safe mode, the screen changes to the windows xp logo and then the screen goes black and restarts again.

How about last good known configuration?
did you try that as well?

Yes i tried that. It tries to load and restarts.

I would suggest to burn a copy of backtrack or knoppix live CD and backup all your important stuff to a USB device before you continue doing anything else.
While PC Off, Open PC and make sure the memory is not lose, you could remove it and put it back just to make sure. reboot and see what you get if not try the following:
>Turn ON PC with the XP cd to boot to recovery console and try the following commands: FIXBOOT THEN FIXMBR. Remove cd and restart.
If that doest work you could try doing a system repair.

Mm

I would suggest to burn a copy of backtrack or knoppix live CD and backup all your important stuff to a USB device before you continue doing anything else.
While PC Off, Open PC and make sure the memory is not lose, you could remove it and put it back just to make sure. reboot and see what you get if not try the following:
>Turn ON PC with the XP cd to boot to recovery console and try the following commands: FIXBOOT THEN FIXMBR. Remove cd and restart.
If that doest work you could try doing a system repair.

Mm

I'm not sure your understanding. I can't access the computer. Once the computer reaches the Windows XP logo and is loading, it restarts. Goes back to the micronpc, then to safe mode options. Once you pick your option it tries to load and restarts yet again. Ill take the cover off and make sure the memory and everything isn't loose.

0x000000ED: UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME
(Click to consult the online Win XP Resource Kit article.)
The kernel mode I/O subsystem attempted to mount the boot volume and it failed. This error also might occur during an upgrade to Win XP on systems that use higher throughput ATA disks or controllers with incorrect cabling. In some cases, your system might appear to work normally after you restart.

If it's just a simple hdd curruption this may do the trick

Go to an internet cafe shop and download the recovery console http://www.thecomputerparamedic.com/files/rc.iso

Burn the iso and boot with it

snippet from microsoft http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307654

To run the Recovery Console from the Windows XP startup disks or the Windows XP CD-ROM, follow these steps:

1. Insert the Windows XP startup disk into the floppy disk drive, or insert the Windows XP CD-ROM into the CD drive, and then restart the computer.

Click to select any options that are required to start the computer from the CD drive if you are prompted.
2. When the "Welcome to Setup" screen appears, press R to start the Recovery Console.
3. If you have a dual-boot or multiple-boot computer, select the installation that you must access from the Recovery Console.
4. When you are prompted, type the Administrator password. If the administrator password is blank, just press ENTER.
5. At the command prompt, type the appropriate commands to diagnose and repair your Windows XP installation.

chkdsk c: /p
chkdsk d: /p

and so on depending on the number of your drives

Back