WinMail in Windows 10?

I have been able, with the help of forums such as this, to transfer Windows Mail from XP, thru Vista, to Windows 7. I would like to continue using it in Windows 10. Is there a way to do that?

I'm not sure what Windows Mail is but there is a Mail app included with Windows 10 that you can direct your emails to so I'd think yes. It was very easy to set up.

Yes you can setup mail app to receive mail directly. No need to login on browser. Just add your email accounts to mail app. you can add several accounts and get mail or send it directly

What I'm talking about is a particular email program that is the successor to Outlook Express from much older Windows versions. The name changed and became WinMail. I was able to carry it forward from XP and Vista to Windows 7. I would like to keep it in Windows 10, if possible and not use whatever their current email system is. There must be some other dinosaur out there like me who remembers WinMail and also knows how to carry it into Windows 10, I hope.

1- set your system to show hiddenfiles/unhide system files this will show the WINMAIL App (Microsoft keeps it hidden in the app folder)
2- Take ownership of the Dlls /DUI and WinMail App in both 86x and 64x Program folders by changing the owner from (installer to you)
3- copy your Vista 32bit version and 64bit version (they are available on the web also) to the folders and replace the files
4- copy msidcrl30.dll /msidcrl40.ll 32bit or 64bit depending on your system to the win/System32 folder
5- start the app according to your system 64bit (program folder) 32bit (program x86 folder)
NOTE: app will create a (Windows Mail) folder in Users/yourname/AppData/Local/Microsoft/.... If you want to have access to your folders, emails and accounts, copy your Windows Mail folder from your last version to that directory before starting the App. Otherwise it will create a new blank folder with just the basic INBOX/SENT/DELETE/DRAFT...and no accounts or data. If you no longer have access to your old version of windows with the App folders, the system MSIs and the Windows Mail folder you're out of luck as most of the Sites that posted them for download no longer do it.

This works for Win 7, Win8, Win8.1 ....should work for Win10. I have Vista, 7, 8 & 8.1 and Don't care for 10 anytime soon.

Last edited:
If it doesn't work try to register the "dll" after you've done the previous steps by:
Click RUN and open the DOS "cmd" app, then type : regsvr32 "c:/windows/system32\msidcrl30.dll"
Press enter

Back