WinXP hangs on repair install

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paladin656

Working on my parent's computer, but I think I may be in over my head with this one. They started with the internet security 2010 virus. I got that off using a combination of Malwarebytes and Avast.

Computer was good for a while, then started BSODing on them. The log showed instances of NTFS.SYS and other ntfs-something or others-.sys being the driver that crashed. As I understand, these are pretty core things. Some internet searches gave me the most likely reasons as bad memory, or curroption in windows.

I loaded up a memory tester and ran it for a few passes, but no errors, so I pop out the XP cd to do a repair installation. It fires up, deletes a bunch of things and goes into the install, however hangs where it's 34 minutes remaining. Installing devices is the 'stage' I believe. On hard reboot after the hang, it goes into the install again, prompts for the XP cd and again hangs at the same point.

I'd appreciation any suggestions on where to go from here.

Thanks in advance.

if you were to google something like xp repair install 34 minutes you'll find the hang at "34 minutes" happens to many.... It's usually due to a problem with installing a device..

Suggest you disconnect every non-essential device when trying to do the repair. If your computer has internal card readers inside the computer, try to turn them off in BIOS or disconnect if you can as well (i've seen where the card readers have been the problem too)

Interesting and thanks. It's a standard Dell box. Think the only after market part is a graphics card upgrade years ago. Think there might be a non-usb mouse laying somewhere also.

Will play with it and see what happens. Didn't think of adding the minutes to my search on hangs so thanks very much.

1) Should you want to get to their files to at least back them up also see [post=766270]How to recover your folders/files when Windows won’t boot[/post]. But since you say this started with a virus be careful to disable autoplay before connecting the drive with the copied files to another compuer and scan the heck out-of-it for viruses to make sure they're not infected and spread to another machine

2) Just re-read your post. Sometimes (if you're lucky) BSODs indicating NTFS can be corrected by running chkdsk /r from the recovery console (again see the link i gave you above about running chkdsk)

3) What model Dell is it?

4) If still having trouble, Windows sometimes leaves "footprints" behind pointing to the problem device. Also see this link for more info on how to look

It is a Dell dimension 2400. Several years old.

I've disabled everything I can in bios and trying again. Also checking out the links.

OK.. if you need help down the road trying to interpret the pnptxt and/or setupapi log files files (as mentioned in that link provided).. give a shout. I can try to help

New info. On my setupact.log one of the last lines is: setup encountered an error while trying to set system security.

I can try take a look at stuff tomorrow.. in the meantime.. look at the setupapi.log and see what driver .inf file it was trying to process when everything stopped as that may point to the driver install file of the device that's failing

I'm looking good at the moment. Got past the setup hang when I disabled everything in bios. Not sure what device it was. Working my way through all the windows updates as I type.

Thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back