WinXP intermittent BSOD with minidump

Hello,

At the end of April we had one of our systems go down because of a MB failure. After working with the vendor they did not have any more of those particular systems available since it was EOL. They ended up supplying us with a demo unit they had sitting on the shelf that they said was tested and worked well

We started getting BSOD errors for various reasons starting shortly after we replaced the system. Here's what we've done so far:
- Updated all firmware for MB and PCI cards
- updated all drivers from manufacturer and vendor
- replaced the memory
- installed known good HDD with fresh install of Windows XP w/SP3
- tested the system without the PCI card to eliminate that as a cause

We've run CHKDSK /r and SFC to verify the HDD and Windows system files. Also have run MemTest86+ for at least 10 passes with each test being passed.

We suspect it may be the motherboard on this demo system as well causing the trouble again but we were hoping for any suggestions for our next step or additional steps to confirm the motherboard.

MB: SuperMicro X7DBE-X
Memory: 4 x 1GB Crucial 240-PIN 128Mx72 DDR2 PC2-5300 Fully Buffered

attached are the minidumps from the last 2 days.

Attachments

• minidump.zip
    32.2 KB · Views: 2
Your first error code is 0x0000004E: PFN_LIST_CORRUPT
This indicates that the memory management Page File Number list is corrupted. Can be caused by corrupt physical RAM, or by drivers passing bad memory descriptor lists. This is the strongest error code we have concerning corrupted memory.

The second error code is 0x0000001A: MEMORY_MANAGEMENT
This memory management error is usually hardware related.

Both files specifically cited memory corruption as your issue. In light of the fact that your memory passed 10 times with memtest I suggest the following:

1. Make sure the memory is seated firmly.
2. Make sure the memory is in proper configuration.
3. Determine if the memory is compatible with said motherboard.
4. Go into the BIOS and see if the memory voltage is set at the memory manufacture's specs. Improper voltages can cause memory corrupted readings.

* It is well known that on occasion bad RAM can pass Memtest.

Thanks Route44 for the quick response.

I was seeing the same errors but I hate to think that the brand new memory we just installed could be bad.

I reseated the memory earlier after originally posting. When I ordered the new memory I made sure to order a direct replacement from the same memory manufacturer. I verified with SuperMicro and Crucial that the memory was compatible and double checked the memory configuration to make sure it was in proper placement. Thanks for the heads up about the voltage, didn't check that one yet.

I'm about to place a support call into Crucial to see if we can get the memory replaced in case it is bad and I'm trying to hunt down a replacement MB (just in case) that won't cost me $400-500

Thanks for your help!

Back