WinXP Pro Setup did not find any hard disk drives installed in your computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
First of all, let me introduce myself as a newbie to the board, and say thank you to everyone for the fantastic info on this board.

I am trying to install WinXP Pro on a HD, and I am getting the above error.
Here are the specs:
Motherboard: intel Desktop Board D845EPI
HD: Seagate U6 Model ST340810A Ultra ATA 40GB

The HD is not recognized in the BIOS IDE Config, nor is it recognized in the Boot Device Priority list.

Any help is appreciated!

jamez

Have you set the jumper on the hard drive to the correct Master or Slave configuration?

yes. the jumper is set as below.
(brackets represent how the jumper is set, the Os represent the other connectors)

[]OOO
[]OOO

Is this an old hard drive? If so, what was wrong with it that made it necessary to reinstall Windows? I'm thinking the hard drive might be faulty.

Are there any other IDE devices on the same cable? If so, is its jumper set correctly?

it's new to me. i bought it from a guy off craigslist, who said he had just formatted it.
it's the only device on the ide cable.

Test in another machine. I'll bet it is dead, but the jumpers are off (no jumpers) on some brands with a single drive.

i've tested in a different machine, and same results. i gonna go with "i lost $20 on a dead hd". oh well.

so here's another question. another guy i bought a new (still in package) hd (that worked great), has a Western Digital 80GB Hard Drive with the following specs for $50:

Model Number: WD800JD - 00HKA0
Formatted Capacity 80,026 MB
Capacity 80 GB
Interface SATA 3 Gb/s
User Sectors Per Drive 156,301,488
Buffer To Host (Serial ATA) 3 Gb/s
Transfer Rate (Buffer To Disk) 748 Mbits/s
Read Seek Time 8.9 ms
Write Seek Time 10.9 ms
Track-To-Track Seek Time 2.0 ms
Full Stroke Seek 21.0 ms
Buffer Size: 8 MB
Rotational Speed: 7,200 RPM

can i use this hd with my motherboard? i can't find any info on intel's website stating that i can/can't.

i might also mention that my motherboard has what i assume is a SATA connection that looks like this (complete with the 2 black, 1 red, 1 orange, & 1 yellow wires):
sata15pin.jpg

Yes it will work fine, but next time shop for new. Today, you could have purchased a Western Digital 160GB SATA or a Seagate 160 GB SATA for $47 at www.directron.com, www.zipzoomfly.com, and others... plus shipping.
Who go to the unknown when the Seagate has a five year warranty using the date on the hard drive, or the invoice date.

You can correct me if I'm wrong but check this Intel website page: Intel. It's the motherboard you listed in your first post and it does NOT have any SATA ports on the motherboard. The picture you showed, complete with description of wires, is a connector from your power supply, not from the motherboard. So, while your power supply has SATA power connectors, your motherboard does not support SATA.

ok, i see that it's coming from the power supply. so i can't use sata how it is now. ok, i'll look for an ata/ide hd then. thanks for all the help!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back