Wired doesn't work, but wireless does

When I first got my PC the ethernet worked fine, a few months later it's been acting up so I got a wireless usb. I keep both plugged in all the time and the ethernet only works when It wants to. Sometimes it will work for 2 days straight, sometimes a few minutes, maybe hours. Most the time I'm on wireless.

I've tried
Restarting modem
Restarting PC
ipconfig /release
ipconfig /flushdns
ipconfig /renew
netsh winsock reset (after doing this, for some reason when opening new tabs, I get a timeout error which has now stopped as I'm writing this, but I'm not sure if it'll start happening again when I restart my pc"
netsh int ip reset reset.log hit

in cmd I get
An error occurred while renewing interface Ethernet : unable to contact your DHCP server. Request has timed out.
No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection* 2 while it has its media disconnected.

Not sure what else to say. For the people to who reply and attempt to help just tell me what you need. This is super frustrating, thanks :)

It's working on the wireless adapter so why does it matter? Put the ethernet lead back in the drawer and enjoy your upgrade.

It's working on the wireless adapter so why does it matter? Put the ethernet lead back in the drawer and enjoy your upgrade.
I play a lot of games, using wireless causes me to have horrid ping as I'm in the basement and across the house from the router. The ethernet gives me a good 15, while playing with wireless I'd only get 100+

How about a pair of Homeplugs? They can work very effectively and I used them for years before deciding a wireless connection suited me better.

How about a pair of Homeplugs? They can work very effectively and I used them for years before deciding a wireless connection suited me better.
I'll try, they seem reliable. I'm looking at https://www.amazon.com/Jet-Bond-DJ5...TF8&qid=1482657257&sr=8-1&keywords=home+plugs In a few days I'm going to construct a new room in my basement which will be my room being even farther from the router, so hopefully this will do. The past two days I've kept the usb unplugged and the ethernet has been working fine so things are going pretty good right now.

You might open up network connections and go the properties of the Ethernet adaptor and see if the connection speed is set correctly. It will say something like media type or speed and duplex. It is usually set to automatic but you may have to set it to the connection speed you have and probably full duplex if it is not already that way. The difference between full and half duplex is that full duplex transmits and receives simultaneously while half duplex transmits in one direction and then has to wait from the other direction for the reply. connection speeds usually go from like 10mbps to 1gbps depending on the manufacturer of the adaptor. You didn't specify your pc manufacturer and model.

No operation can be performed on Local Area Connection* 2 while it has its media disconnected.
Major clue being shown here! Why and how did Connection*2 get created??? there should be only ONE normally.
  • go to Network & Sharing Center.
  • on the left, click on Change Adapter Settings
You will see an Icon for each 'device' with their names
eg: I have
  • Bluetooth Connection, (not connected, bluetooth device)
  • Local Area Connection, (workgroup.name, Realtek PCIe FE)
  • Wireless Network Connection (not connected, Dell Wireless 1502)
  • Wireless Network Connection 4 (disabled, Ms Virtual Minport)

If he has a separate pc card for Ethernet in addition to the motherboards onboard Ethernet adaptor he might have a second local area connection 2.

If he has a separate pc card for Ethernet in addition to the motherboards onboard Ethernet adaptor he might have a second local area connection 2.
and MEDIA is disconnected, so obviously, the system is attempting to access the wrong adapter :grrr:

and MEDIA is disconnected, so obviously, the system is attempting to access the wrong adapter :grrr:
If he does have 2 adaptors he needs to go to network and sharing center like you said and configure the correct adaptor and then plug the Ethernet cable into the correct adaptor.

Back