Wireless connection, limited connectivity

Rock4MUSIC

HI, this is my dilemma, My laptop is M5030 Dell, 64 bit operating windows 7. Am trying to connect to the internet, keep getting a limited connectivity error. Ive install new window updates on the 5th and the 8th of this month. Ever since I installed those specific driver updates (I do not recall which updates I installed) am not able to connect to the internet, via wireless nor Ethernet. Ive tried to use System restore points, every time I try to restore prior or before the 5th, I end up getting a error, saying the system restore points can't be found etc, Ive done some researching to see if I can find a solution to the problem, but yet nothing. Am sure the router, is not the problem, am able to connect via wireless, thru my phone, other laptop,tablet. Am sure the issue revolves around the updates I install,
I open up cmd, I type ipconfig, the results that I get:
Windows Up configuration
Tunnel adapter Teredo Tunneling Pseudo-Interface:
Media State ............: Media diconnected
Connection-specific Dns Suffix , :
is there any solution to this issue that am encountering?
Much appreciated for the help.
-Thanks Rock.

Based on the data you have provided you have no network cards installed. How was your laptop connected with the ipconfig results (wired or wireless)? Check device manager (devmgmt.msc) for installed network adapters.

Based on the data you have provided you have no network cards installed.
sorry, the data provided do not support that conclusion - - the portion of ipconfig shown only says there is no IPv6 connection at this time.
Check device manager (devmgmt.msc) for installed network adapters.
now that's a great place to start.
keep getting a limited connectivity error
this is a direct symptom of the adaptor failing to find the DHCP service and it then drops into a default address 169.254.x.y which does no good.
, every time I try to restore prior or before the 5th, I end up getting a error, saying the system restore points can't be found etc
now THAT's troublesome. Restore Points are in a hidden folder \System Volume Information\_restore and they can be "missing" for various reasons, including having System Protection disabled.

On Win/7, right-click My Computer->Properties; Click the link System Protection in the upper left.
Now Click the System Protection Tab. Just above the CONFIGURE button is a list of disks and their Protection Status {on,off}
DO NOT CHANGE IT IF IT'S ON, as that will delete whatever does exist.

What do you see?

jobeard, Thank you for ur response, also to tracker1. I went under device manager, network adapters, I have following drivers installed correctly, as it shown,
Atheros Ar8152 PCI-W Fast ethernet Controller (Ndis 6.20)
Atheros Ar9285 802.11 b/g/n wifi adapter,
jobeard I follow ur steps, under protection settings,
available drives:
Recovery, Off
os (c:) (system) on, that is what I see.
-Thanks Rock

jobeard I follow ur steps, under protection settings,
available drives:
Recovery, Off
os (c:) (system) on, that is what I see.
-Thanks Rock[/quote]
Good, C:\ should be on and recovery off - - so there's a system issue of some kind

Yes, but even when found, you need the system to access them.

I'm hesitant to show you HOW as this involves changing NTFS permissions and if there's an error, you will really be in trouble.

Hmm; good question. Without System Restore Points, I guess you're headed into a CD Recovery Install - -

but wait for other inputs from Techspot .....

Hey Rock4MUSIC. I saw this a few times a few years back with an XP lap. Try going into Device Manager and in the Network Adapters section, right click on the wired adapter and select uninstall. Do the same for the wireless adapter. Reboot the system and wait until Windows finds both devices and reinstalls the drivers. Anything happen?.

Back