Wireless Internet access suddenly stops working

Status
Not open for further replies.
As the title says, my wireless internet access has very suddenly stopped working. The last time I used it, sometime last night maybe 10 hours ago it was working fine. This morning I wake up and it simply won't work. The only thing I did was turn my computer off before going to bed and it had been off until this morning when I turned it on and it wouldn't work. The thing that confuses me the most about this is from the moment it was working to the moment it wasn't working, I'm 99% sure it was completely powered down that whole time.

I've restarted and rebooted every piece of hardware multiple times already. From what I can tell, the problem appears to be with my computer only, since no one else or any other computer in my house appears to be affected.

Inspiron 1525 running Windows 7 64 bit

Some other facts:

I can connect to the internet perfectly if I plug in with an ethernet cable.
I can connect to my router and access its firmware, and can see my computer as connected to the router.
Other laptops have no problem connecting wirelessly to the internet on the same wireless network.

Wireless adapter: Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-card
Wireless adapter driver version: 5.30.21.0

Wireless LAN adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Dell Wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-Card
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-24-2B-34-AA-EA
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
Link-local IPv6 Address . . . . . : fe80::bc10:9a61:89ef:e450%12(Preferred)
IPv4 Address. . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.7(Preferred)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Saturday, June 19, 2010 2:47:29 PM
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, June 22, 2010 2:47:29 PM
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
DHCPv6 IAID . . . . . . . . . . . : 218113067
DHCPv6 Client DUID. . . . . . . . : 00-01-00-01-12-7F-BB-DD-00-1D-09-55-07-41
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.0.1
NetBIOS over Tcpip. . . . . . . . : Enabled

Let me know if you need any other information.

Do you have a LAN connection icon in the taskbar notifications? Right click on it and troubleshoot it. Windows 7 might be able to repair the connection. If you don't have an icon in the taskbar, go to the Control Panel.

Yes, I do. Windows seems to think I do in fact have internet access, as the wireless icon in the task tray doesn't have the little alert icon and say, "No Internet", it says that I do in fact have internet access. When I try to have Windows diagnose it, it finds no problems. Sometimes while fiddling with it, it correctly said I had no internet access. When I tried having Windows diagnose it then, it said the problem was with the modem or connection to the modem, but no other computer in the house (wired or wireless) had any connection issues. Resetting the modem did nothing.

maybe your firewall turned it off? try disabling it temporarily and try connecting then. Btw im no expert just trying to help. Ive had similar problems in the past. Might also be your wireless driver is messed up. could try reinstalling your wireless driver.

It sounds like the problem is the wireless adapter. The wireless 1395 WLAN Mini-card might be loose or perhaps needs to be replaced. There are alternatives like a wireless USB adapter.

Would a loose wireless adapter still function normally for my LAN, but not for internet? It seems strange that if the adapter was faulty it would interfere with internet connectivity, but leave LAN connectivity completely unaffected.

Well, this is bizarre. Out of the blue, it appears to be functioning normal again. Other than trying to fix it when I first discovered the problem, I've barely done anything and barely even used my computer since the problem started. Heck, I've barely even moved it.

Well, I suppose this is a good thing, I'd still be interested in trying to figure out what went wrong so I can prevent it from happening again or fix it. Given the abrupt start and end to the problem, a hardware issue is starting to seem more likely. Maybe the wireless adapter is periodically failing for some reason? The whole thing still seems strange. I'm going to see if I can determine for sure its better.

As long as it's working it's not easy to figure out what is wrong so if it ever stops working again maybe you can track it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back