Wireless Internet Connection Problem

davbell22602

Has anyone ever had wireless connection problems in house that has more one floor due to the metal duct work for the heating and air conditioning?

I've been using a shared connection when the modem and router over in the next room same floor level. But mother computer is wireless also but had driver verizon drivers and wireless router drivers but had trouble slow connection since hers was upstairs in a bedroom. I had no trouble.

Now few weeks ago mom decides to move the modem and router to the same room as her computer but I'm having the slow connection problems and she isn't.

My guess is the metal duct work. This a split level house. She has norton 360 and I have dr webbs.

Any suggestions?

Why did she move in that room? Best if you have internet connection coming in were the modem should be place. To far from the main junction box reduces throughput. You should be able to go 50 feet from the main box.

What wireless router are you using?
Are you on Windows XP or 7?
Are you using a all in one modem?

Digital PHone
Internet all coming out of the same box?

Metal, and any other dense substance (IE brick) will degrade signal quality, therefore slowing you down.

Best thing to do is to put the router as high in the room its in as possible, and as close (Relative to up/downstairs) as you can to your PC.

Also, make sure there are as few solid surfaces between them as possible.

Short of buying a new set up (Going Wireless N, for maximum distance and speed, perhaps?), that's pretty much all you can do.

Yea, metal will definitely degrade signals.

I even found a mirrored wall makes wireless between 2 adjacent rooms worthless in my case!

If wireless seems to be problematic, you might also consider Powerline Ethernet (though understand your actual speed over powerline ethernet may be way less then what you might expect just looking at the "up to" speeds the vendor prints on the box.. but still better then what you're currently getting with wireless between floors)

You might also want to take a read here: Anyone else tried Powerline ethernet yet? Here's my results and let us know what you find if you try it

Mom has the Linksys 810. something wireless router. Were the modem that verizon sent to us the mail. Told her we a modem per floor. She considering switching to comcast.

We have total 4 computers off the router and modem but all wireless except 1. I might be adding 5th PC later on.

The room her PC is in is above room that has the gas/ac unit.

I would find a location where there is no metal or pipes if there is such a location. You want to minimize interference as you have to think of wireless as radio beacon. If the signal is blocked by metal, brick and etc. You'll need to use APN's Access Points to help weak signal areas of your home (meaning you'll need to buy another wireless router). First work with what you got and see if you can see clear line of sight.

Back