Wireless internet one building to the next

Status
Not open for further replies.
How do you get internet from one building to next by using a wireless router. The internet connection is at the house w/wireless linksys router and I like to get it to the shop office. By the mean another wireless netgear router and than hook it up into the ethernet wired office. Is that possible? Can I get this netgear router to communicate with the linksys to provide internet in the shop office? I tried changing router settings but so far no luck. I price an external ant. and amplifer but too much money. Is there another cost effective way of doing this. I'm not really into tearing up a blacktop drive way to bury a cable. I think surely there should be a way to do this. Need advise.Thanks

Too much we do not know about distance, router models, and structure of the walls. Much easier and wiser to string a cable of CAT 6 plenum grade waterproof cable to the shop office to which you connect a second router
But otherwise, use a wireless that has a signal that reaches, or rent a detector which can measure the signal strength at various places.
Connecting a second router to the wireless signal from the first is a losing venture.

The distance approx. 100'-120' The linksys router is a SRX400. And its a wood structure w/steel siding. I have good signal at one end of the office by a window that is in line sight of the router at the house. By using a laptop it works fine right by the window. And that where I was planing to set the netgear router WGR614v6. But sounds like a deadend street. I'm not to keen on stringing wire. Thanks

im not sure about the cat6 limit but cat5 can only go 100 meters between devices. some routers have that capability where you have the option to "dumb it down" and only use it as a range booster or access point. Im not sure about the two you mentioned and usually the setup is very complicated particularly if your using encryption (you better be if this is a business).

Well, your thinking is right, and the equipment is good... But sometimes there is structural stuff in the walls and ceilings... such as foil embedded in the plaster or the wall board that creates reflections.
Sometimes it is very helpful to just move your equipment around in experimentation... as little as two or three inches at a time... side to side as well as up and down. You may be surprised at what you discover just by those tedious little moves of equipment.

I believe I found what I need. linksys makes what they call a wireless ethernet bridge. A company called B&B electronics told me about these things. Grin!!

Thanks for the update. Hope it works. Give us a review when you get it installed.
Also, cost and source.

I bought a Belkin ethernet bridge for about 70$. (Amazon) It work great plug and play for open routers. But it could only do WEP and the router was set for WPA. I didn't have the password to get into the router that I was going to use it on. Tech support told me of what I was trying to do it wouldn't work. It was design for 1 computer rather than a network. And the distance was another factor is was too far for it. And so I'm back to base one. But for what it is, it does work if you are within its range 60-80'. Good Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back