Wireless N router

Transform

I am looking to upgrade to a wireless N router since my current wireless G is on its last legs. I have spent time reading through reviews but I am still no closer to finding one that stands out.

I have a desktop on my network which connects via a wireless G adapter (will upgrade to N) and a laptop with built in wireless N capabilities. My main tasks include general browsing, gaming and Skype calls with video. Signal strength isn't too much of an issue as the apartment is only 10 by 8 meters. The desktop only picks up 2 other networks so the area isn't crowded with wireless devices. Lastly, I want a router that is reliable that doesn't always drop out/overhead like my current model.

My main question is, should I be getting a dual band 2.4/5 Ghz router or should I just get a single band considering there aren't many other devices in the area to interfere?

My main question is, should I be getting a dual band 2.4/5 Ghz router or should I just get a single band considering there aren't many other devices in the area to interfere?
The dual band you suggest is a G or N mode router and usually the allow both at the same time.

Reliability (ie dropping the connection) is no so related to brand name per se, but more closely associated with quality firmware and reasonable configurations, eg: when possible, set do not fragment and MTU 1492 to ensure the header is within the packet as the data.

So if a G device were to be introduced, my N clients wouldn't slow down to G speed on a dual band? If that is true, it sounds like dual band is the way to go right?

Also, does that mean I would have 2 SSIDs?

Dual band not a good choice because the 5GHz can be lousy and offer lower though-put. 2.4GHz good enough and what you need to be operating in it called mix mode. 802.11b,g,n. It's the wireless channel which is 1-6-11 are the main ones.

I had wrote a review on EnGenius ESR-9850 Wireless N Gig Router.

I have been looking into this more and I think there isn't really any reason for me to buy a router with a 5 Ghz radio. As there aren't many 2.4 Ghz devices around I am looking at getting a single band router. From searching around, I found that the DIR-655 is one of the fastest however a little expensive.

Are there any other routers around that are as good but a little cheaper? Also, if I do go for a single band, if I have 1 N client and 1 G client, will my N client still be at N speeds if the G client is also connected?

Are there any other routers around that are as good but a little cheaper? Also, if I do go for a single band, if I have 1 N client and 1 G client, will my N client still be at N speeds if the G client is also connected?
yes, although there are pleanty of reports of dropping connections with that configuration ...

I have been looking into this more and I think there isn't really any reason for me to buy a router with a 5 Ghz radio. As there aren't many 2.4 Ghz devices around I am looking at getting a single band router. From searching around, I found that the DIR-655 is one of the fastest however a little expensive.

ESR-9850 prices are $50+ depends who's selling it.
Specs:

384MHz
32MB of Fast double RAM (16MB + 16MB)
WAN+ 4LAN Gig Ports
2R/2T @ 2x 2dBi @ 2.4GHz Max WiFi Power: 16dBM
MSC = 50,000
Hardware Enhancement: Yes
LAN to WAN = 619mb/s
WAN to LAN = 640mb/s

DIR-655
276MHz
16MB of RAM