Wireless networks keeps disconnecting

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a Toshiba Satellite M/40/M45 Laptop. We have Verizon DSL. I had my desktop connected to the Modem and my laptop linked to the Linksys Router and everthing was working fine. Verizon told me that they had a new modem with a built-in router that would run much faster. I got the unit and replaced my old set up with the new one. Since then, my laptop which is in another room about 15 feet away keep getting disconnected from the internet when browsing or when it's idle.
I've call verizon several times but they don't have a clue what the problem is. Looking in this forum. they did a diagnostic test to see if it was receiving the signal and it was. When the network is connected, it says the signal is excellent.
Can anyone offer any suggestions?
thanks in advance

look for and remove static IP addresses from all systems.

you should have this layout
Code:
modem==router<-- desktop wired
         |
         + . . . . wifi to laptop
ONLY the router should be connected to the modem

router

Right: That's the way it was before I received the new Modem/Router combo. With the new unit, the Modem is connected to the Phone line and the router output goes to the PC.

phone-----modem/router-----pc. Since the unit is a combination there are 1 phone input and 4 ethernet outputs. I'm using one to go to the PC. and another one to go to the wireless printer......

Does a system that's wired to the router disconnect too, or just the WiFi connection?

If both do, then it's likely to the the ADSL modem setup; these devices are allowed to
disconnect after xx minutes of inavtivity but will immediately reconnect at the next outbound data.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back