Witstech's $200 tablet dual boots Android 2.1, Windows CE

Status
Not open for further replies.

Matthew DeCarlo

Staff

Sales are officially open on the Wistech A81-E tablet device, which dual boots Android 2.1 and Windows CE 6.0. Priced at a respectable $199.99 via MeriMobiles, the slate features a humble ARM Cortex A8-based 600MHz processor, 256MB of RAM, 2GB of built-in flash storage and support for up to a 16GB microSD card.

It also has a 7-inch 800x480 LED-backlit touchscreen, 802.11b/g Wi-Fi, optional GPS ($15), one accessible mini USB 2.0 port, along with support for popular audio and video formats including MP3, WAV, WMA, AVI, MPEG4, MPEG2, WMV, and H.264. Notably missing from the spec sheet is an accelerometer, so you probably have to adjust the screen orientation manually.

Since it runs both Android 2.1 and Windows CE 6.0 you'll have access to applications from Google's Android Marketplace as well as Microsoft exclusives like the Office Mobile suite. The tablet ships with a "free" protective case and a stylus, while a 4GB, 8GB and 16GB memory card can be thrown in for an extra $10.50, $18, and $40.

Permalink to story.

I wonder why on earth someone needs an ARM Cortex A8-based 600MHz processor tablet which equivalent to an old intel 486 cpu laptop in a shrink package. As per to date HTML 5, minimal speed to be surf smoothly, you need a 1Ghz or better processor. If you open site contain heavy scripted with Java or Flash, you may need at least 1.6 to be slightly decent.
These net book and tablet are for people try access net for a few simple thing such as check e-mail or read txt based surfing. Other than that is just waste of money plus help create lots of electronic junk that pollute out environment.

@Guest:

I have a netbook and I use it for more than just browsing the net. I use it for programing in Visual Basic and have no problems with it. It also plays movies just fine. Sounds like your basing opinions on items you haven't even used.

Now i'm not too sure about how well this particular little device will run, but for us poor folks, it's a nice alternative to the more expensive tablets. Also, not everyone needs some fancy device to do a lot of work on. I have a lot of friends who need something to only check email and do some small documenting. So I don't see these things as a waste or anything. Some people prefer simplicity.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back