Wma only plays 5 sec

My girlfriend did an interview for her school exams. Its a wma file which should take 47 minutes but after the first 5 seconds it just stops playing. It doesnt give any error message or anything just stops playing. I tried audacity and vlc convert but didnt do anything helpfull. She really needs this file for school and I hope someone can help. If I need to provide more info or the file it self please let me know.

Thanks in advence.

Sounds like maybe the file got corrupted. Was it recorded on a different device then transferred to the computer for playback? Can it be played w/o issues on the device used to record the file?

I'm not an expert, but played with audio files for a couple of mods...

47 minutes - file should be about 50MB (30MB to 200MB depending on recording method) - please try to locate it and check 'properties'.

There are 4 different types of WMA file. Encoding density varies.

Make a couple of copies of the file when you find it as some players given the wrong instruction may truncate the file (I did that with audacity once).

Hi rabbit no it doesnt play right on the recorder any more either she deleted it from the recorder after transfering it to her pc found it wasnt working on her pc and after transfering it back to recorder it does the same as on pc plays first 5 seconds and nothing after that. really hope someone can help she is freaking out and driving me crazy thx

Hi cycloid the file is only 11 mb if that helps and she just send me a working wma made by same recorder which is 9,6 mb and takes 41 minutes. if that is helpfull

From wikipedia:
"Windows Media Audio Voice[edit]
Windows Media Audio Voice (WMA Voice) is a lossy audio codec that competes with Speex (used in Microsoft's own Xbox Live online service[46]), ACELP, and other codecs. Designed for low-bandwidth, voice playback applications,[47] it employs low-pass and high-pass filtering of sound outside the human speech frequency range to achieve higher compression efficiency than WMA. It can automatically detect sections of an audio track containing both voice and music and use the standard WMA compression algorithm instead.[23] WMA Voice supports up to 22.05 kHz for a single channel (mono) only.[47] Encoding is limited to constant bit rate (CBR) and up to 20 kbit/s. The first and only version of the codec is WMA 9 Voice.

Windows Mobile-powered devices with Windows Media Player 10 Mobile have native support for WMA 9 Voice playback.[29] In addition, BBC World Service has employed WMA Voice for its Internet radio streaming service.[48]"

Try making several copies and look for various WMA Voice players to see if any will work with your file. There may be some slight corruption which is the issue - but I'm not expert enough to recover a corrupt file - so the hope is that some player can bulldoze through the file and then save that corrected image.

Back