Woman angry at YouTube's demonetization, censorship policies opens fire at company's HQ

midian182

Staff member

The tech industry is in a state of shock after a woman armed with a handgun opened fire at YouTube’s San Bruno, California, headquarters yesterday. The shooter has been identified as 39-year-old Nasim Aghdam, who was reportedly “angry” at the company for the alleged demonetization, censorship, suppression, and removal of the videos she posted.

The incident, which took place around 12:45 pm Pacific Time Tuesday, saw Aghdam shoot four people, including herself. According to Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital spokesman Brent Andrew, the victims include a 36-year-old male in critical condition, a 32-year-old woman in serious condition, and a 27-year-old woman in fair condition. A fourth person suffered an ankle injury while fleeing the scene.

When police entered the building at 12:53, they found another woman, understood to be the shooter, dead from a self-inflicted gunshot wound.

It appears that Aghdam held a grudge against YouTube—likely her motivation behind the attack. In an Instagram post from March 18, she wrote that the Google-owned site used its tools to “censor and suppress people who speak the truth and are not good for the financial, political gains of the system and big businesses.”

“There is no equal growth opportunity on YouTube or any other video sharing site, your channel will grow if they want to,” Aghdam wrote on her website. “YouTube filtered my channels to keep them from getting views.”

BE AWARE! Dictatorship exists in all countries but with different tactics! They only care forpersonal short term profits & do anything to reach their goals even by fooling simple-minded people,hiding the truth, manipulating science & everything, putting public mental & physical health at risk,abusing non-human animals, polluting environment, destroying family values, promoting materialism &sexual degeneration in the name of freedom,..... & turning people into programmed robots!"Make the lie big, Make it simple, Keep saying it, And eventually they will believe it"Hitler... There is no free speech in real world & you will be suppressed for telling the truth that is notsupported by the system. Videos of targeted users are filtered & merely relegated, so that people canhardly see their videos!

After she disappeared for two days, Aghdam’s family reported her missing to the police. She was later found sleeping in her car in a Mountain View parking lot Tuesday morning. Her father, Ismail, warned authorities that his daughter's anger toward the company could see her target YouTube.

Aghdam’s channels, which covered topics such as vegan cooking, workouts, animal rights, and music video parodies, have now been removed by YouTube.

The tech world has offered its support to Google and all those affected.

President Trump also tweeted about the shooting.

Google CEO Sundar Pichai sent the following note to all Google employees.

Permalink to story.

After seeing some of her postings on youtube I must say I'm not surprised .... actually what I AM surprised at is Youtube dosen't more carefully track some of these threats that are so nearby to their operations. You would think in this day and age that would be a high priority for them .....

After seeing some of her postings on youtube I must say I'm not surprised .... actually what I AM surprised at is Youtube dosen't more carefully track some of these threats that are so nearby to their operations. You would think in this day and age that would be a high priority for them .....

May be an interesting point to assume or would hope these huge companies would have security investigators look into things like this. If you are expecting local, state or federal law enforcement to protect you I think you are making a huge mistake, they are largely reactionary and the CIA/FBI has no time for this crap.

It would probably violate some regulation or other...

Unfortunately the mentally unstable woman is right, YT is certainly using "demonetization, censorship, suppression" as a weapon against those their political stance does not agree with. This is not how to handle that problem though. This is a form of terrorism and we must be vigilant to report suspicious actions to mitigate this threat.

YT is destroying the American values of freedom of speech and freedom of press, and if they don't back off and do the right thing, they may end up contributing to the further downfall of American society.

I think it is about time to DELETE YOUTUBE... what do you guys think?

Middle-Eastern vegan female eco-activist shooter who couldn't read (the no guns sign) OR shoot.

I honestly did not see this coming.

"According to Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital spokesman Brent Andrew, the victims include a 36-year-old male in critical condition, a 32-year-old woman in serious condition, and a 27-year-old woman in fair condition."

So we are contacting Facebook CEO for personal real time information, from an incident unrelated to HIS company?

Am I missing something here?

No kidding. After seeing some of her rants and You Tube videos, she was clearly out in left field. I don't know who she was dating that she felt the need to shoot, but that person definitely needs to do a better job at dating selections. She was obviously extremely emotionally out there...

YT is destroying the American values of freedom of speech and freedom of press, and if they don't back off and do the right thing, they may end up contributing to the further downfall of American society.

Freedom of speech means the government can't censor or punish you for your opinions. Youtube is not a government. They're a private company and freedom of speech is not applicable to them, they can do whatever they want just as people are free not to use them. If a person doesn't like Youtube's policies they should stop using their services, it's really simple.

There are many other video sites on the internet. To suggest that Youtube could bring about the fall of American society is ludicrous.

Problem is everyone who works there at YouTube is batshit insane so it's hard to tell who's who.

Freedom of speech means the government can't censor or punish you for your opinions. Youtube is not a government. They're a private company and freedom of speech is not applicable to them, they can do whatever they want just as people are free not to use them. If a person doesn't like Youtube's policies they should stop using their services, it's really simple.

There are many other video sites on the internet. To suggest that Youtube could bring about the fall of American society is ludicrous.

The first paragraph is solid. The second paragraph is ludicrous. The BIGGEST streaming website on the internet doesn’t have the power to exert influence over masses of people by determining exactly what content and messages they can see on a daily basis?

Media influence is the second most powerful shaper of human perception (first is education) and YouTube has more influence than established media.

YouTube isn’t “the” problem with American society. But it is most certainly a part of it, as a corporation.

While there is certainly validity in your argument and I agree for the most part. I think of "freedom of speech" as a general American value that should be respected by everyone, particularly in a public forum, which YT certainly is. While the Bill of Rights in the US Constitution portrays this as a right to everyone, primarily preventing government infringements, it does not go on to limit that restriction to just government. It could easily be interpreted as a right that no one should infringe upon as every person has the right to express their opinion. That is my take on it...

And you either didn't read or misinterpreted my comment regarding the fall of society. I said they may contribute to it; and that most certainly is not ludicrous in my opinion. That is not to say that FB, Twitter, etc. isn't also a potential contributor. I try to be careful with my words.

"According to Zuckerberg San Francisco General Hospital spokesman Brent Andrew, the victims include a 36-year-old male in critical condition, a 32-year-old woman in serious condition, and a 27-year-old woman in fair condition."

So we are contacting Facebook CEO for personal real time information, from an incident unrelated to HIS company?

Am I missing something here?

Yes, this person is not Facebook CEO. It says spokesperson for San Francisco general hospital.

Unfortunately the mentally unstable woman is right, YT is certainly using "demonetization, censorship, suppression" as a weapon against those their political stance does not agree with. This is not how to handle that problem though. This is a form of terrorism and we must be vigilant to report suspicious actions to mitigate this threat.

I think it is about time to DELETE YOUTUBE... what do you guys think?

What this women did had nothing to do with censorship or suppression. It was not mentioned until you tried to spin it for your own political gain.

The first paragraph is solid. The second paragraph is ludicrous. The BIGGEST streaming website on the internet doesn’t have the power to exert influence over masses of people by determining exactly what content and messages they can see on a daily basis?

Media influence is the second most powerful shaper of human perception (first is education) and YouTube has more influence than established media.

YouTube isn’t “the” problem with American society. But it is most certainly a part of it, as a corporation.

Yep, media is called the 4rth estate for a reason. Online media is the wild west right now and should be regulated. Same goes for Sinclair, who are benefiting from deregulation and taking a majority of the market.

While there is certainly validity in your argument and I agree for the most part. I think of "freedom of speech" as a general American value that should be respected by everyone, particularly in a public forum, which YT certainly is. While the Bill of Rights in the US Constitution portrays this as a right to everyone, primarily preventing government infringements, it does not go on to limit that restriction to just government. It could easily be interpreted as a right that no one should infringe upon as every person has the right to express their opinion. That is my take on it...

And you either didn't read or misinterpreted my comment regarding the fall of society. I said they may contribute to it; and that most certainly is not ludicrous in my opinion. That is not to say that FB, Twitter, etc. isn't also a potential contributor. I try to be careful with my words.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

The first amendment is pretty clear that it is only applicable to the government. There is no way you are going to interpret that to effect private entities.

PewDiePie and the Wall Street Journal led to adpocalypse, which affected ALL of YouTube when sponsors started pulling out and YouTube had to appease them. But people who are obsessed with ideology, or are nutty like this woman, think it's ALL about them. The conspiracy nuts think it's all about them, followed by the conservatives who think "they" are out to get them, and nutty people like this woman who can't handle life well probably due to mental illness will also assume that they are targeting her.

What this women did had nothing to do with censorship or suppression. It was not mentioned until you tried to spin it for your own political gain.
I wasn't really referring to the woman's issue, just the acknowledging the fact that YT is indeed doing this.

"Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances."

The first amendment is pretty clear that it is only applicable to the government. There is no way you are going to interpret that to effect private entities.
You are right. I must have been thinking of some other part of the Bill of Rights. I'll have to research to see if I can find the area that I was thinking will support my interpretation.

However I still feel freedom of speech is an American value and should be respected. I do not feel YT respects this value, but I also agree they have the "freedom" not to respect it. That, is indeed why I don't watch YT videos anymore and removed my accounts. Boy, am I ever bored now...

[/QUOTE]

There are many other video sites on the internet. To suggest that Youtube could bring about the fall of American society is ludicrous.[/QUOTE]

Ok but they are surely owned by an elite satanist who is a tool of the government elite crowd.
I recently saw a Good Morning America type show where the host was saying it is redicoulous to blame hollywood for their opinions, saying they are free to say what they want because they are not government. They KNOW they are full of it. Hollywood has seduced the world and is the most powerful and effective influencer there is. I don’t remember the comment they were defending but hollywood is satans tool.

If only they had put a "gun free zone" sign up... nobody would have been inured........

and in the state of California that has some of the strictest gun control in the country. Obviously the fix is yet more gun control because it worked so well before. The mark of wise public policy is to just keep doubling down on crap that doesn't work. I mean, its illegal to shoot people and murder them last time I checked but that didn't seem to do much. Maybe we need more laws against murder and that will help? Maybe some laws against being a crazy person too?

and in the state of California that has some of the strictest gun control in the country. Obviously the fix is yet more gun control because it worked so well before. The mark of wise public policy is to just keep doubling down on crap that doesn't work. I mean, its illegal to shoot people and murder them last time I checked but that didn't seem to do much. Maybe we need more laws against murder and that will help? Maybe some laws against being a crazy person too?

This is actually the problem. As far as I know, there is no law banning mass murder. Genocide, yes. But there does appear to be a mass murder loophole these nutcases keep exploiting.

We need common sense murder laws. It’s the only way.

Her statement cited in the article contains a mix of truth and the exact opposite. Equally easy access to true information and false gossip on the internet creates truly eclectic minds... The vision of an enlighted civilization of science is dead for sure.

My comment about a sign was sarcastic if the ellipsis weren't obvious. More laws will not help because it will happen anyway, unless you mean the death penalty. "Crazy" people often don't have the choice. What will help, as proven in war-torn nations and the populace, is to change the heart. I personally see changes in people (and myself) who accept Christ as their one and only Savior. Repentance of sins changes everything.

Back