Wondering if I did damage to my motherboard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok so I bought a used motherboard, and ordered a new case for it. Case isn't here, and I wanted to check to make sure the motherboard worked ok.
So I tried to "jump" the power pins on the motherboard with a paperclip to get the power going on the motherboard.
Well I think end of the paperclip was on the power pin and one slipped and hit the speaker pin I believe it is.
There was a spark, and I got shocked.
So I'm worried that I might have fried it or damaged it.
The green LED light was still lit, so I know it is still getting power, but no idea if I did anything to it, and I'm not going to touch it again until I get the new case in hopes of it still working.

So I'm just wondering who thinks I damaged it or just shorted it out maybe.
Thanks.

The motherboard is an ASUS P4P800 by the way.

The only way to know for sure is to wait until you get the case, hook everything up and the fire it up (watch for smoke!)

Best,
-- Andy

I would be concerned with the board being damaged to some extent. Depending on who you're giving the computer to or what the computer will be used for, you might consider getting a new board. I would save the used board for a backup computer or a server if it is still functional.

I vote: no problem other than speaker maybe

i vote: no problem other than possibly to the speaker.

i don't think electricity was able to travel very far, and probably not to something mission-critical such as the chipset.

plus, the electricity was able to go to your body, so that may have saved the motherboard.

i would make a joke about how to do foolish things like this 'better' but i am afraid someone would actually go follow my absurd suggestion.

so, let's all just remember: don't drink and mod.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back