Won't boot and access BIOS after crashed Windows 7 Update

erka_na_sygnale

Hello Mates,

My Asus G75VW was offline for 2 weeks and when it came back on there were 8 Windows updates to be done. Picked some of them>restart. There was this typical ~configuring~ message that went for 20 min or so. I thought it's frozen so I rebooted it manually. And than... nothing. Black screen. I can't access BIOS, Windows wont start either.

I tried generic reset with holding the power button but it failed.
I tried to boot from repair disk- nothing.

Any ideas?

Sounds like the laptops bios is corrupt. You could try and remove the battery and then push the power button for 30 seconds, then replace the battery and try to power up again

There was this typical ~configuring~ message that went for 20 min or so. I thought it's frozen so I rebooted it manually.
You interrupted the Configuring, Please Wait? O U C H. As you have now found out, that was a big mistake. IMO, you are going to need to use the recovery partition to get the system running again (if that's at all still possible).

A big mistake that was, but who would've thought that it would brake down the whole laptop. I can't get into BIOS and the recovery. I think it has to go back to Asus.

Whenever you see a warning anything like
Do not interrupt or power off the system, Please Wait . . .
the system is usually performing some sequence of modifications that are destructive . . . like deleting massing list of registry entries so they can be re-inserted under new keys.

Yes, the message may be too polite - - yes, there might be alternative means to do the same work without such a risk. But sometime, somewhere the sequence can always arrive where an existing and active module, let's say the kernel itself has to be renamed and another version moved in.

Caveat Emptor: Be conservative when reading warning messages - - do what it commands.

IMO, the SYSTEM software is a mess and likely the bios reference to the bootable kernel is corrupted too. Both Win/7 & Win/8 have versions of the secure boot and that feature does impact the BIOS (especially in Win/8).

btw: I did not post to chastise you, but to assist others reading this thread from making any similar mistake in the future.

I'm so sorry you're in this kettle of muck.

Thanks Mate. What would be the next thing to do than, if I cannot start and .ISO repair disc or access Repair Partition?

No offense taken, no worries.

Disconnect from power, open the case and remove the BIOS battery.
wait 5-10 minutes
reinsert the battery and attempt to startup and directly access the BIOS, not the system.

If you can access the BIOS settings, then there's hope of a recovery or at least a reformat and reinstall.

Allright, I'll check online for a bios battery placement in laptop. But that probably would end warranty- the thing is- it's from States and I'm in UK and time is the matter Mate, as it's my source of income.

For a laptop, there is no BIOS battery - - just remove the normal battery and proceed.

That didn't change a thing either. It might be a HD or Board as don't hear the fans kicking in, while the power is on. Service than...

jobeard said: ↑
For a laptop, there is no BIOS battery - - just remove the normal battery and proceed.

Laptops do have a CMOS battery on the motherboards just like desktop motherboards have
Which one's true than?

The laptops the CMOS battery is sometimes accessed from the bottom of the laptop in the hard drive or memory areas. Others are located under the keyboard...

Hello,

Jobeard you were right Mate, thanks to you I suprised *****s at the Asus help centre.

The problem has been fixed. Bios reference to the bootable kernel was corrupted. If anyone has a similiar problem wirite to me and I'll give you instruction.

Thanks.

If anybody could explain how to fix this problem I would be eternally grateful as I've fussed my step dads laptop by being impatient and turning off thinking it had crashed thanks in advance

I have an acer aspire thanks for the advice anyway but I just ended up doing a complete factory image reset now I just have to remember not to be too impatient in the future

The problem has been fixed. Bios reference to the bootable kernel was corrupted. If anyone has a similiar problem wirite to me and I'll give you instruction.

Thanks.

Can you share the solution with me... the same happen to my asus

I had a similar issue. My laptop wouldn't load the OS and stated that it was missing components. I also struggled to get to the BIOS screen. My laptop is a HP Pavilion G7. After some research and playing around, I found that once I turned the power on and pressed escape continuously as soon as I could, It gave me options to boot sequence or to BIOS. In any case, I turned a thumb drive into a bootable USB device and was finally able to reload/repair the OS. Hope this is helpful in some way to anyone.

I am new to this site but have been trouble shooting computer issues for a few years. If I can be of any other help in some way, feel free to let me know.

I am new to this site but have been trouble shooting computer issues for a few years. If I can be of any other help in some way, feel free to let me know.
Hey Jeromy,
I've got a problem with my new build desktop, I think it is quite similar to the problem above and I wonder if u can help me.
So after I installed windows on my new device (on my SSD) I wanted to move some folders from my SSD to my hard drive (because I wanted more free space on my SSD). What I did ,in my utterly ignorance, I copied the program files folder and the users folder to my hard disk, it said that some parts couldn't be copied but Ijust pressed them away. When that was done the pc started to function a little weird so I decided to restart my pc. When it was going to start up again it did absolutely nothing. It didnt even load the bios.. Can you help me fixing this? Did I move the drivers (since I see nothing on the screen when I start it up)?
Thanks in advance.

Hey Jeromy,
I've got a problem with my new build desktop, I think it is quite similar to the problem above and I wonder if u can help me.
So after I installed windows on my new device (on my SSD) I wanted to move some folders from my SSD to my hard drive (because I wanted more free space on my SSD). What I did ,in my utterly ignorance, I copied the program files folder and the users folder to my hard disk, it said that some parts couldn't be copied but Ijust pressed them away. When that was done the pc started to function a little weird so I decided to restart my pc. When it was going to start up again it did absolutely nothing. It didnt even load the bios.. Can you help me fixing this? Did I move the drivers (since I see nothing on the screen when I start it up)?
Thanks in advance.

Rope, could you please tell me if you are getting any error messages at all? Did you install the new OS with a disk or through an external drive, extra internal drive? Can you get any response by pressing (Esc, F2, F8,F12) at start up? Please respond with your answers at your earliest convenience. Thank you.

Back