Not open for further replies.

macx

Word always has been a mystery to me,
too many things happen automatically,
many of which I don't want, and usually
can't figure out how to stop.

Question here deals with the automatic
capitalizing of the first letter of the first
word in each successive line in a paragraph.

I want manual control over what gets capitalized,
do not want that automatic capitalizing of words
in the middle of a sentence just because they
fall on the next line.

How the heck do I shut that off?
I've looked thru all the formatting stuff I can
find and nothing suggests any solutions.

Thanks!

1. Choose AutoCorrect from the Tools menu. Word displays the AutoCorrect dialog box.
2. Make sure the AutoCorrect tab is displayed.
3. Clear the Capitalize First Letter of Sentences check box. and any other 'capitalize' feature you don't want.
4. Click on OK.

do not want that automatic capitalizing of words
in the middle of a sentence just because they
fall on the next line.
That seems odd to me. Are you allowing the lines of text to wrap? If you are forcing the end of a line by hitting the Enter key, then the first word in the next line would be capitalized automatically. If you let the text wrap normally, that won't happen.

Edit: I notice that in your post here you did exactly that, forced the end of the line with the Enter key. Why do it that unnatural way?

Word capitalization is interesting, but usually we get into trouble by ASSUMING that
we use it just like the old typewritter, ie, hit <return> or <enter> and the edge of the visual page -- BAD HABIT :(

On a word processor, we enter 'the whole paragraph' without hitting <return> UNTIL
we get the the '.' period to end the sentence. Hitting <return> a second time will
space one line and the new paragraph that follows will be properly Capitalized :)

So; write paragraphs of information, adjust margins (before or after you have content),
and then perform special formattingm eg Bold, Italics, Underline, font face or size
changes AFTER you've created the document.

jobeard, I find many users don't know the difference in a hard return and a wrap. That's why we get 'funny looking' posts! Instead of letting the words wrap, they hit 'return' or 'enter' because they think they are at the end of the line. This will give the text a stilted look when it displays.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back