Works for 5-6 secs. then shuts off

sghiznaneck

I've been working on computers for quite some time, but this has me completely perplexed. Just purchased a new case (NZXT Guardian), new EVGA 650TI vid card, 4 gigs of Corsair PC 6400 (Dual Channel), have two hard drives (500 gig Seagate w/Vista loaded/350 gig WD Caviar w/XP loaded), new 750 watt Corsair gaming psu, new Asus M2N32 SLI Deluxe board (wireless edition) and two new DVD-R/DVD-RW drives (HP drives) and AMD Athlon 6000 cpu. When I hit the start button, everything fires up for about 5-6 secs, and the system shuts off. I've tested the psu and it's fine. The memory works in another computer, and so do the h/d's and optical drives. I keep thinking there's something wrong with the board or chip. I've torn this build down and rebuilt so many times in the past three days my heads spinning. Thought I'd get some fresh perspective on this thing.

Disconnect all drives, graphic card, and all but one memory module to see, if the system has the same symptoms. If the system seems to have the same symptoms, you can rule out those components as being a possible culprit.

The 750W PSU is a bit much for a 650Ti. I take it you were giving head-room for possible future SLI with larger graphics cards.

Yes. I'd planned on picking up another 650 TI and run SLI. I've replaced just about everything, to include the standoffs. I've even tried starting the computer with mem sticks that do work from another computer. I've swapped out the vid cards and even tried my old 250 GT. I've also disconnected USB connectors and disconnected all fans. I've even taken out my Zalman cooler and tried a stock heat sink. Swapped out psu's and tried my Corsair 700 from my other computer.

Have you tried seeing if it shuts off in Safe Mode the same way. Coud be a driver failing out soon as you load windows but really sounds like an overheating issue. But if it doesn't shut down while in safemode could be a driver that is crashing when it tries to load. You see this a lot when you download a third party drive through Windows instead of going to the manufactures site for the correct driver.

I've ruled out overheating as well. It won't post. After you push the power switch, it shuts off after about 5 seconds, so Safe Mode is not an option. I don't believe it's a driver issue because I always keep my drivers up to date.

Oh I thought you have already gotten into windows so it doesnt post. Nope not driver related. It sounds like a failing Motherboard or Processor. Do you have any kind of warranty on those items? If so I would begin filling out the RMA's. Have you tried resetting the CMOS to see if it something with Motherboard firmware?

Would you happen to have access to another motherboard or CPU? That is in helping identify whether or not either of those are good?

Already tried to reset the CMOS. I've already "thrown my eggs in one basket" and figure it has to be either the mobo or processor. They're both going back tomorrow. Anybody have any ideas on a different mobo and processor that will run XP & Vista?? I tried to find a mobo/proc combo, but neither Tiger Direct or New Egg list the OS's in the product descriptions anymore. I know they're dead OS's, but I've got too much on the hard drives to just chuck 'em. I'm building a new system for Win 7 in a couple months, but was trying to keep what's on these hard drives. Too much software over too many years. Reason I went back to the M2N32 SLI Deluxe was so that I wouldn't have to reload both OS's. Originally built the rig with XP, then added Vista in 2007 (dual boot). Never had a problem until the board went bad. I've had no luck rebuilding it.

Back