Worth upgraing from 7870 xt to RX 470 4GB?

W

Werner

As the title says, I can get a Powercolor RX 470 devil (currently have a Powercolor 7870 Tahiti LE myst edition) for much less than the RX 480 Devil, and to me the performance difference is not worth the extra cost, to give you an idea, the money I'll save going with the 470 can buy me an SSD or 16GB of DDR4 memory, that's the difference in price. I'm gaming on a 1080p monitor.

CPU: i7-4790
MEMORY: 16GB DDR3 @1600
WIN10 64-BIT

The 7870 LE in pure raw performance is about the same if not superior to the RX 480 right now.

If I were you I'd buy a nice SSD, or save up for the 480 or a 1060.

The 7870 LE (XT) was the equivalent to the 7930 (it was basically a chopped down tahiti chip). Even thought it is an older model I don't think you will see a significant improvement with the upgrade. (if any)

I have an SSD, I was just stating what I could buy with the money I save if I go the RX 470 route, and you're wrong, the RX 470 is barely slower than the RX 480, which is basically twice as fast as my current card.

The 7870 LE in pure raw performance is about the same if not superior to the RX 480 right now.

I find that rather difficult to believe. The 380 was a revised and clock boosted version of the 7950 and the RX 480 is a good 50-70% faster than that. A cut down version of the 7950 isn't going to be faster than the 480 or even the 470.

I'd expect a 470 to be something along the lines of a 50% performance increase. I would say that was too small to be worth it personally but it depends on what criteria you apply.

I find that rather difficult to believe. The 380 was a revised and clock boosted version of the 7950 and the RX 480 is a good 50-70% faster than that. A cut down version of the 7950 isn't going to be faster than the 480 or even the 470.

I'd expect a 470 to be something along the lines of a 50% performance increase. I would say that was too small to be worth it personally but it depends on what criteria you apply.

My bad.

I meant RX 470.

If he wants to see an improvement he should save up for the RX 480 and not the RX 470.

It really depends on a lot though. I had my 7870 LE clocked at 1200 core stable (it was a very good clocker) and it beat a stock 7950 and those were high-end cards pretty much one generation ago.

The 200 series were rebranded 7000s mostly and the 300 series feel very close to that (I've got a 390x and 290x and they are pretty much the same)

Anyway my advice - save up more money and get a 1060 or 480 at least. I think you'll be happier with the performance boost.

Okay guys, I can get the ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 DUAL Edition (DUAL-GTX1060-O6G) for less than the Powercolor RX 480 Red Devil 8GB, What would you do? I'm just a bit worried about the lack of Async Compute and Vulkan on the Nvidia?

I'm just a bit worried about the lack of Async Compute and Vulkan on the Nvidia?
http://wccftech.com/nvidia-geforce-gtx-1080-dx12-benchmarks/
Nvidia’s GTX 1080 & Pascal architecture do much to narrow the DirectX 12 Async Compute gap with AMD, but is it enough ? NVIDIA was at the receiving end of some criticism over the last couple of years over inadequate async compute support in its GTX 900 series graphics cards. This DirectX 12 feature’s purpose is to dramatically improve utilization of the resources and horsepower inside modern GPUs.
http://www.geforce.com/whats-new/articles/vulkan-graphics-api-launches-nvidia-gpus-game-ready
NVIDIA has worked closely with the Khronos Group, the creators of Vulkan, throughout its development, and as of today all Kepler and Maxwell graphics card running Windows 7 or later, or Linux, are supported by Vulkan.
There is no "lack of Async Compute and Vulkan". Lack implies there is no support at all.

Let me rephrase, vulkan support is not as optimized as with AMD cards, personally which one of those would you choose?

Do you actually depend on Async Compute for your work? If so then I might say AMD. If not then it really doesn't matter.

Lack implies there is no support at all.

Lack is frequently used to mean something in short supply or with limited support. Do a search or your favourite news site and you'll find it'll have been used that way several times in the last month, for example:
https://www.google.co.uk/#q=lack+site:bbc.co.uk&tbm=nws

Okay guys, I can get the ASUS GeForce GTX 1060 DUAL Edition (DUAL-GTX1060-O6G) for less than the Powercolor RX 480 Red Devil 8GB, What would you do? I'm just a bit worried about the lack of Async Compute and Vulkan on the Nvidia?

Personally I'd probably keep the current card, double the performance only just qualifies as a worthwhile upgrade for me and I wouldn't go for it unless your current card is struggling across multiple games instead of just those known to run badly.

If you do want the upgrade then what's your screen situation? If your current screen supports variable refresh rates or you're likely to upgrade it within the life of the card then that'll have a big impact on what you go for. The RX 480 is ahead there so in that situation you'd only go for a GTX 1060 if you own a G-sync screen.

I'll be staying on 1080p, newer games really struggle, Doom plays like crap, have to play @720p, Soma @720p as well to get a constant 60 fps, don't know if I can wait until Volta or the like, There is also a very very good deal on the Galax GTX 1060 EXOC 6GB GDDR5, so much cheaper than the RX 480 Red Devil for example.

As the title says, I can get a Powercolor RX 470 devil (currently have a Powercolor 7870 Tahiti LE myst edition) for much less than the RX 480 Devil, and to me the performance difference is not worth the extra cost, to give you an idea, the money I'll save going with the 470 can buy me an SSD or 16GB of DDR4 memory, that's the difference in price. I'm gaming on a 1080p monitor.

CPU: i7-4790
MEMORY: 16GB DDR3 @1600
WIN10 64-BIT
go for it!

Back