WoW account hacked twice, need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

TorturedChaos

So my gf wow account has been hacked for a second time. Mine never has, and since I almost never sign in on my laptop, only on my desktop, and that's mostly what she uses, I'm thinking they are getting her password and user name off my laptop some how.

The first time it happened, I went through the Viruses/Spyware/Malware, preliminary removal instructions. But I dont think I ever posted the log files :p.

So now she just got hacked again, and someone did a paid character transfer to one of her characters. She is trying to get it back through blizzard.

But I'm wondering, a sided from running through those Preliminary Removal Instructions again and posting the guides if you guys have any ideas of how to boost the security.

Its a Window Xp SP2 machine, with Avast! as the anti-virus. I'm not using a firewall currently. We don't downloading random things off the web, and I'm very careful about what I install.

Please help if any one can!

Its a Window Xp SP2 machine, with Avast! as the anti-virus. I'm not using a firewall currently. We don't downloading random things off the web, and I'm very careful about what I install.
Basic security:
One antivirus program
One firewall
Two or more spyware/adware programs.

You are very short on security. You should also have encryption set up on the laptop.

IF you want help, run the programs and attach the logs: current logs

New malware cleaning instructions from TechSpot:

https://www.techspot.com/vb/post645589-1.html

If you've already done scans for virii and keystroke capture program it might be one of you WoW add-ons causing your problems. There have been some add-ons that have been used for that purpose.

If you've already done scans for virii and keystroke capture program it might be one of you WoW add-ons causing your problems. There have been some add-ons that have been used for that purpose.

Thats possible.

Also.. does ANYONE else know the account info? if they do, they could have a keylogger.

There is also an exploit for the password retrieval system that i have heard about. I have never tried it, and I am not going to post about how it is done....

Anyway... make sure the system is clean, and even if no one else has the account info, if u logged onto the account at a friends house, or anything... its possible.

Basic security:
One antivirus program
One firewall
Two or more spyware/adware programs.

You are very short on security. You should also have encryption set up on the laptop.

IF you want help, run the programs and attach the logs: current logs

New malware cleaning instructions from TechSpot:

https://www.techspot.com/vb/post645589-1.html

Forgot to mention, I do have Spybot and Ad-ware on the machine. I will add a firewall tonight and run through the new cleaning instructions and post the log files.

As far as I know she has never logged onto WoW on any machine other than my pc & laptop.

I dont think the add-ons are the issue, since i use the EXACT same file on my pc. I downloaded on to my pc, then copied them over to my laptop, but i will re-download all my add-ons off of curse again.

BTW the addons on my laptop are: Cartagrapher, Lightheaded, Questhelper, & Gatherer + a Gatherer database i got of of curse. I use a Titian Panel pack on my pc but not on the laptop. All the addon's i have are off of curse. Any one every heard of those steeling p/w or logins.

I use almost everything u listed, and have never had any problems.( i dont know what "lightheaded" is)

Pretty easy to find this:
LightHeaded is a very simple addon that displays quest information and comments from http://www.wowhead.com in game, eliminating the need to Alt-Tab when you get stuck on quest. This addon was inspired by qcomments and wowhead_quests, which both serve a similar purpose. Data is only loaded when you first request it, so you can be sure you're not using more memory than you need to.

Mine never has, and since I almost never sign in on my laptop, only on my desktop, and that's mostly what she uses, I'm thinking they are getting her password and user name off my laptop some how.
Will you clarify this for me please:
Desktop: who uses?
Laptop: who uses?

Are the WoW accounts set up on both systems? Who is the user? What kind of account does each have?

Pretty easy to find this:

Will you clarify this for me please:
Desktop: who uses?
Laptop: who uses?

Are the WoW accounts set up on both systems? Who is the user? What kind of account does each have?

We both have separate WoW accounts. I only play on the desktop. My gf plays on both. Laptop when we both play, desktop when its just her. My WoW account has never been hacked. Her's has twice now.

Although I think I'm going to reformat my laptop tonight. I may do the scans and post log files first, just out of curiosity & possibly to help others with the same issue. But we are both frustrated with what happened, and the amount of stuff that she lost, that I dont want to take any changes. I have been thinking of reformatting my laptop just because it has sooooo may programs installed on it (I tried to use it as a desktop before i had one :p). This time keep it to minimum programs so it will run more effectively. Also i want to change how I installed windows & Give it it's own partition.

Thanks for the help ne ways guys

Interestingly enough, she was talking to one of the friends and found out that 4 or 5 other people also got hacked around the same time. Almost makes you wonder if it was an inside job.......

Given that information, I can only guess that there is some lack of security in your gf's account setups. I don't think it's WoW itself. Have her reset her security in her OS account AND in the Wow account on both machines.

Another possibility is insecure add-ons. since they are most likely loaded as Active X Objects on boot, if any are not secure, that could be the problem, suggest SHE remove any add-on on her account for WoW. Make sure she uses only her account when playing, requiring signing on with password. You would be advised to do the same.

Shoe should also change user ID and password for the Wow account and be required to use it-like you-whenever you pull it up.

Shoe should also change user ID and password for the Wow account and be required to use it-like you-whenever you pull it up.

you CAN NOT change your WoW username. you CAN change the pw... but it would be a waste of time if there is a keylogger, or insecure addon present. I would fix the security issue before doing ANYTHING on that computer with your account again.

I am rather certain Blizzard resets the password after a ticket is submitted for this issue anyway. Just dont log into your account on that computer.

Well guys thanks for all the input. I ended up reformatting the machine. Runs sooo much nicer w/o all the crap on it that I don't need.

I made sure this time I have an anti-virus (avast), ZoneAlarm Firewall, Spybot S&D and Ad-ware.

Hopefully everything stays secure on it.

Good job. You'll do better with the protection. Be sure to scan with the security programs often, updating each right before scan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back