WP7 Mango to challenge iPhone and Android with Sept. 1 launch?

Shawn Knight

Staff member

Windows Phone 7 is scheduled for a refresh on September 1, a strategic date that could help Microsoft’s struggling mobile phone platform better compete against Google and Apple’s solid offerings. Pocket Lint says that multiple sources have confirmed the date and that the update, codenamed Mango and also referred to as Windows Phone 7.5, will be available to current WP7 users and will ship with new handsets.

It is believed that September 1 was selected to coincide with IFA, the world’s largest trade show for consumer electronics and home appliances. IFA runs from September 2-7 in Berlin and an announcement from Microsoft the day before would mean that companies like Samsung, Acer and LG could show off new devices running Mango.

We’ve known that Mango was coming for a while now. Microsoft announced the software update on May 24 and just earlier this week, the OS hit RTM.

The update adds a number of much-awaited features, including an HTML5 version of Internet Explorer 9 for mobiles, deep Twitter integration, better multitasking support, an improved messaging system, new Bing features and so on.

This could very well be Microsoft’s last real opportunity to steal a piece of the pie from Google and Apple. Earlier this week comScore reported that Microsoft ranked fourth in smartphone market share, behind Google, Apple and RIM in that order.

AT&T Mobility CEO believes things will start to pick up with Mango and as the Windows Phone Marketplace gains more apps. Nokia CEO Stephen Elop meanwhile argues that Windows Phone scores better than Android and iPhone with consumers, but OEMs are doing their best work for Android. He believes that once Nokia starts doing its best work for Windows Phone, the platform will take off. Microsoft says it dreams of selling 100 million Windows phones per year.

Permalink to story.

I still don't think it will take off with Nokia. This could be another WebOS scenario. Excellent operating system that just doesn't pick up for various reasons, in this case, Android.

Well I'm getting a Samsung Focus soon. It practically free on AT&T for my upgrade

I would love to buy a Nokia phone. I think they have very nice designs and reliability. As soon as they come out with an Android phone. No Andorid, no purchase! Hope their deal with Microsoft was worth it.

It will not take off with Nokia. Truth is Nokia is big in Europe and in Asia, but in the US particularly, its just alright. When people hear Nokia, they hear "Hyundai."

WP7 will truly take off when they start delivering faster updates, and when major, recognizable OEMs put more interest in it.

"Nokia Sea Ray" is less appealing than, say, "HTC Omega." See what I'm saying?

Nokia synonym with Hyunday? Your analogy is wrong, maybe LG or other crap is synonym with Hyunday but never Nokia which invented the smart-phone, it's still the bigger phone maker in the world, it owns Vertu and they were always been associated with quality.

comparing Nokia to Hyundai? that's just being silly. Nokia is quality....in terms of hardware...and Microsoft has a quality OS and I love the Mango OS. It doesn't have to succeed in the US as long as it succeeds elsewhere to start with. hell with MeeGo and Android crap. Windows Mobile is unique and its great. I have no doubts it will succeed. The problem is these days you go to a mobile phone shop and they usually have one windows phone on the shelf compared to 20 Android devices.Microsoft and Nokia (and other OEM's) need to start pumping in more devices. I think they know that two. Plus I think Microsoft was only buying time till now to have their OS matured enough for the market before they started pumping out serious phones...e.g the Nokia partnership. Windows phone after Mango release is ready to Take Off.

Given the state of auto industry comparing Hyundai even with GM is unfair.

lawfer rightfully noted that Nokia* is big in Asia + Europe, and I think Sea Ray will be probably one of the best looking devices upon its launch. If Nokia is able to offer a compelling portfolio of WP phones along with MS improving its update cycle, I think things can change.

* Quality of high-end Nokia phones is much better than e.g. what Samsung offers (generally except for the Omnia line). Even the likes of SGS feels like a cheap phone when compared to E series Nokias.

Biggest problem win Windows phones is the hardware, not the software. I have been looking at them against my iphone and just can't pull the trigger when the hardware is really crappy - relatively small screens, form factor is goofy, etc. They need to get Nokia or Samsung to put out a cutting edge platform to showcase the software. They just haven't got it yet.

63jax said:
Nokia synonym with Hyunday? Your analogy is wrong, maybe LG or other crap is synonym with Hyunday but never Nokia which invented the smart-phone, it's still the bigger phone maker in the world, it owns Vertu and they were always been associated with quality.

Guest said:
comparing Nokia to Hyundai? that's just being silly. Nokia is quality....in terms of hardware...and Microsoft has a quality OS and I love the Mango OS. It doesn't have to succeed in the US as long as it succeeds elsewhere to start with. hell with MeeGo and Android crap. Windows Mobile is unique and its great. I have no doubts it will succeed. The problem is these days you go to a mobile phone shop and they usually have one windows phone on the shelf compared to 20 Android devices.Microsoft and Nokia (and other OEM's) need to start pumping in more devices. I think they know that two. Plus I think Microsoft was only buying time till now to have their OS matured enough for the market before they started pumping out serious phones...e.g the Nokia partnership. Windows phone after Mango release is ready to Take Off.

My friends, I think you have misunderstood my point. I'm talking about the US specifically, as I've stated in my last comment.

Also, Nokia makes smartphones. Whereas LG, Samsung, etc. make smartphones and other devices (such as appliances). There is a stronger trust on the american minds, when they hear these types of manufacturers, instead of just Nokia. To a regular american, Nokia is a "phone company," while Samsung is a "big company that makes Blu-ray/DVD Players, TVs, washers, refrigerators, phones, etc." Somebody who has a Samsung HDTV he/she loves, is more likely to seek an equally branded phone from the same company. That's called customer trust.

Even HTC is bigger than Nokia in terms of market value (thanks to its success in the US market), and has been here less time (I think you have to register on the site in order to read the article; I apologize for the inconvenience). That's NOT to say it's better though.

So what I wanted to portray with my analogy of automobile manufacturers simply was: when you tell somebody the car you are getting is a, say, Honda, instead of a Hyundai, there's a different response. That's not saying Honda is better than Hyundai or vice-versa; it's more on the recognition side of the american people, specially teenagers and those in mid-twenties, which compromises the largest portion of smartphone users.

I agree with Lawfer, I think Nokia phones have always been ugly and in my circle of friends and family, one has never been owned. I would wager most probably wouldn't even know who Nokia is ...

lol i dont even know why people bother arguin with lawfer. the guy is almost always spot on, and argues like pro

Another big problem is it isn't on Verizon. And I think they have one phone scheduled but it's very basic. We want the best they have and they haven't put it on Verizon....and I think by the time they do it will be to late. I'm getting a Samsung S2 or Iphone5.... Sorry Microsoft..your not there this time around for me to even have you as a choice.

Guest said:
Another big problem is it isn't on Verizon. And I think they have one phone scheduled but it's very basic. We want the best they have and they haven't put it on Verizon....and I think by the time they do it will be to late. I'm getting a Samsung S2 or Iphone5.... Sorry Microsoft..your not there this time around for me to even have you as a choice.

You must not be into the auto industry because Hyundai is not at all who you're claiming them to be...they were about 10 years ago but times have changed...Not even Toyota is who they used to be and Chevrolet for example was garbage the same as Hyundai 10 years ago and have begun to vastly improve.

Back