" 'x' is not a valid Win32 application." Windows Vista

I receive this message when I attempt to do virtually anything on my computer now and am unsure how to tackle it. Any attempt made to find out what it is usually ends up at a point where I have to use some kind of program and at that point I am denied access and start back at the beggining.

Error_Example_1.jpg

On the left of the above image is an example of some of the messages I am receiving when attempting to access different programs.

The middle is an example of how, despite having a Headset plugged into working working USB slot, the computer fails to register any Headset being plugged in. (Same with other headsets I've tried)

The right is an example of when trying to perform an error check, the computer simply dosnt resgister my attempts to click on it, similarly when I try to do it in Safe Mode, when I restart the check is performed and nothing happens.

I apologise if this is the wrong section of the forum for this problem but I really am quite unsure what to do and would appreciate any help that could be offered.

Spamming the forum with random short responses to increase your post count is not going to do you any favours either. Do not do it again.

If you are unsure of the forum rules, please read the Community Guidelines, available here. Especially the reference to double posting.

It was so that I could post the image which requires a 5 post minimum, however it didnt work, regardless I assure you I'm really not the least be interested in post count.

Image added to your original post.

Edit: Re-sized and uploaded to our servers. I'm also going to move this to the Windows OS forum as well, as I think that is the most suitable forum to help with your query.

Is it possible that in some quite imprtant part of your OS you have installed the wrong version of some .dll ? (I am thinking you have an X64-bit version running in a 32-bit OS for instance?)

It's hard to think of a way to check for that condition - maybe try SFC (system file checker) - provided you have a Vista install CD handy.

A google search for the phrase 'not a valid win32 application' has a lot of hits like this one for instance http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000726.htm And (gulp) malware is a possibility - as always for this kind of odd event.

Back