Xbox 720 to be six times faster than current 360, coming fall 2013

Shawn Knight

Staff member

The successor to Microsoft’s wildly popular Xbox 360 gaming console, tentatively known as the Xbox 720, will feature a power plant that is reportedly six times faster than what the current console is capable of. Sources close to the project have told IGN that production on the GPU used in the next-generation console will kick off by the end of 2012 for a fall 2013 release.

Contrary to earlier rumors, it is now believed that the 720 will feature graphics based on AMD’s 6000 series GPU rather than the 7000 series Southern Islands GPU that had been previously pegged for the system. More specifically, the GPU will be similar to the AMD Radeon HD 6670 GPU and feature multi-display out, DirectX11, 3D and 1080p HD out. Graphics cards based on the HD 6670 currently start around $79.99.

As noted, the GPU should be good for real-world performance that is six times better than the Xbox 360 and about 20 percent better than Nintendo’s next-generation console known as the Wii U. Nintendo's Wii U is expected to be released in the second half of 2012.

Developers will likely get their hands on development kits based on the system’s final configuration as early as August in order to give them plenty of time to create games for the console. The 720 is expected to launch in late October or early November in time for the 2013 holiday buying season. No projected price for the system was given.

Permalink to story.

A 6670 is far from powerful....looks like next gen consoles will still be miles apart from mainstream PC performance. I would day at least a 6770....much better choice as for cost I'm sure Microsoft can get a good deal on them for the 6770.

PC gamins is gonna suck so much more in the coming years if next-gen consoles are gonna be this bad.

At least there is the possibility that it will run games in DirectX 11. If that's the case then it would help improve the quality of PC graphics. The 6670 isn't a bad card, I put one in a friends system and it does a fine job at 1440X900. I just don't want to see this thing be $600-$700 at release just to have the largest harddrive

Guest said:
Damn... My friend just showed me the recently leaked information of the Xbox

720 and I must say, I was completely amazed. I didn't think this info would be released for quite

a while, but it's managed to find its way onto the Internet, luckily!

If you guys want to check out the PS4 and Xbox 720 for yourselves, here's the site I saw them on:

This needs to be taken down, Avast caught a trojan when I clicked on it. And if that's what the 720 looks like(as well as the controller) then It won't sell at all.

Since there is no need for DirectX on the xbox devs can get much more out of the cheaper GPUs.
Though it would be nice to get something better, it probably would push the MRSP way up.

Oh boy, I can't wait for my CDGrinder RROD720. I wonder if I'll have to buy three before I finally realize what a ****ing scam this was.

Unless the new XBox is under ~$350, it's hard to believe that MS is planning to stick a 6670 in a new console a year and a half from now.
<a href="https://www.techspot.com/review/392-budget-gpu-comparison/page3.html">https://www.techspot.com/review/392-budget-gpu-comparison/page3.html</a> - Techspot review of some video cards including the 6670.
Must we live with a Crysis 2, ~30 fps GPU for 6-8 yrs in our future console..?

HD 6670 currently start around $79.99
In 1.5 years, I am sure MS can get it for around $20 - $25. XBox Loop (720) better be less than $150. I am a little disappointed that it's not at least a HD6770. And does the fact that it's not based on Southern Island mean it won't be 4K ready?

What the hell! 6670? Passmark rates it a 1,749 while the 580 Gtx is over 2x as fast at 3,923! and the xbox isn't coming till probably nov, 2013 thats almost 2 years away! Just think what will be out then! The new 680 is already suppose to be 50% faster then the 580. You think they would at least go with a recent GPU when they expect these things to last 8 years... and I don't think Battlefield 3 would even run on ultra with that card...

Why not a Radeon HD 4830? its 10 dlls cheaper and it has a very sightly better performance.

thewind said:
What the hell! 6670? Passmark rates it a 1,749 while the 580 Gtx is over 2x as fast at 3,923! and the xbox isn't coming till probably nov, 2013 thats almost 2 years away! Just think what will be out then! The new 680 is already suppose to be 50% faster then the 580. You think they would at least go with a recent GPU when they expect these things to last 8 years... and I don't think Battlefield 3 would even run on ultra with that card...

This are just rumors with no actual confirmed specs or anything...

i hope this is not true... cause this is sad. 6670. that means by the time it actually rolls out.... game developers will continue dumbing down the graphics just to fit the 6670's capability. by then PC users will probably be playing with 8970, that's at least two generations ahead and probably six times more powerful than it's console counter part.

lol it better be the 360 came out in 2005

consoles arent bogged down by a resource hog os, ill switch to console gaming when this comes out simply so i can play with friends

You don't need PC level resources on a console to get amazing graphics. They are far more efficient than our PCs. But, with that said, I'm quite sure the xbox systems have been released with pretty high end gpus for their time. I don't really believe this rumor.

You would think Nintendo would get a decent GPU given soo many generations have gone by... PS3 and Xbox was released around the time highend 7000 series Nvidia were out. Look at what they are still squeezing out of that GPU given they have access to the metal. Imagine if they just get this gen or last gen GPU from AMD or Nvidia what they can do with the next gen and keep the price down... oh and that backward compat is starting to look really important now. More so... it is costing more for the games is one argument... I expect full backward compatibility or I'm surely not going to be an early adopter.

chazz said:
You don't need PC level resources on a console to get amazing graphics. They are far more efficient than our PCs. But, with that said, I'm quite sure the xbox systems have been released with pretty high end gpus for their time. I don't really believe this rumor.
Optimization can only do so much, but then again "amazing graphics" is subjective. Use some common sense and take a look at the previous console release, then you will understand why it is very likely that this is the truth.

this is going to suck for PC gamers (not just console)

most PC games are console ports, so it will be more of the same

console port games with more shadows to make people think their games are hardware intensive. meanwhile people are playing the games just with with their athlon II & AMD 6670 or 7670 video card

After I read this:

"....the GPU will be similar to the AMD Radeon HD 6670 GPU and feature multi-display out, DirectX11, 3D and 1080p HD out. Graphics cards based on the HD 6670 currently start around $79.99."

....Take my F$Ck$N $$$ AMD/NV.

Kepler/HD8000 series, here I come. PC Gaming FTW!!

By the time Xbox next launches in the fall of 2013, ~ HD6670 will be slower than the integrated GPU inside AMD's APU designs. Sad really.

I can't believe we'll have to endure 6-8 years of such underpowered next generation consoles. I hope this means developers finally ditch underpowered consoles and give us next generation PC games. First HD4000 series in Wii U, no low-end HD6000 series in the next Xbox?

Looks like future console games will be running games in DX11 but still at 720P @ 30 fps. HD6670 is so weak.

thewind,

Passmark is a joke of a benchmark because it's not a real game engine or a real game.

This is a pretty accurate list of GPUs in the last 10 years based on compliation of reviews of GAMES from hundreds of websites:

http://alienbabeltech.com/abt/viewtopic.php?p=41174

HD 6670 = 48
GTX 580 = 180

In real world games, the GTX580 is about 3.75x faster than HD6670. By the time the next Xbox launches, we'll probably have GTX780 that is 2x faster than GTX580.

But worse of all, this console has to last us another 8 years?........Surely they could have tried to fit an HD6850, shrunk on 28nm, at least!

Back