1. TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users. Ask a question and give support. Join the community here.
    TechSpot is dedicated to computer enthusiasts and power users.
    Ask a question and give support.
    Join the community here, it only takes a minute.
    Dismiss Notice

Xbox Game Pass launches for Gold members today

By Cal Jeffrey ยท 10 replies
May 24, 2017
Post New Reply
  1. Microsoft is opening up its Xbox Game Pass subscription service today for Xbox Gold members. The service is similar to PlayStation Now, but instead of streaming, the games are downloaded to the hard drive. Users may also purchase downloaded games outright at a discount, although why one would choose to do so when they are paying a monthly subscription is a little unclear.

The service was being tested by a select few Xbox One users, but now the service is being rolled out with Gold subscribers getting first shot today. The service will fully open on June 1.

The "walkthrough" of the service (see video below) indicates that players can try Game Pass for two weeks for free. After that, the service will charge $10 per month. According to GameSpot, T-Mobile subscribers will also be getting a free one-month trial, but it is unclear when that offer will take effect.

Currently, there are over 100 titles available in the service and more will frequently be added. While most games will remain in the service, once a month a few titles will be removed, and more games will be added. Microsoft was not specific about how the rotation will work. It will probably be older or unpopular titles that will be targeted for removal, but that remains to be seen.

An Xbox Live Gold membership is not required to use the service, but keep in mind that multiplayer online games do require a Gold subscription. It is also somewhat important to note that the service is only available on the Xbox One even though it offers Xbox 360 backward compatible games. A full list of Game Pass offerings can be found on the Xbox website.

Permalink to story.

2. MoeJoe

MoeJoe Banned Posts: 837   +441

Doomed

3. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TS Guardian Fighter Posts: 11,346   +4,976

Yep, no one will want to pay a subscription for backward compatibility. Either backward compatibility is possible or it is not. Selling this subscription Microsoft is telling everyone that backward compatibility is possible. Eventually Microsoft will have no option but to offer the whole catalog for free (not just a two week trial).

4. treeski

treeski TS Evangelist Posts: 1,006   +249

Huh? Sorry, I don't understand your reasoning. Everyone already knows that back compatibility is possible. Microsoft has been giving Gold subscribers two free 360 titles (in addition to two free XB1 titles) every month that are backward compatible since the feature was added.

Why would MS be forced to give away the entire 360 catalog for free???

5. cliffordcooley

I must have missed something. Is the catalog available to those that wish to purchase and play 360 games?

6. theBest11778

theBest11778 TS Addict Posts: 298   +127

It's netflix for games. BC compatable games are available along with XBO titles. Its a decent program if you're on a budget. Huge library of games for $10 a month.

7. Panda218

Panda218 TS Evangelist Posts: 600   +313

Yup for the price its actually a decent platform. Reminds me of the Sega TV Subscription I had when I was a kid. That was mind blowing for the times, but I'd get really mad when the game I was playing got removed the following month :(

8. ET3D

ET3D TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,652   +318

There's quite a large library of 360 games which are compatible with the Xbox One. However, that compatibility isn't automatic. You can't just play any 360 game you want, there's need for the game to be available at the Xbox store (possibly Microsoft is compiling the PowerPC code to x64 code, doing compatibility testing and then releasing games). Sadly Kinect games aren't compatible, and Microsoft said they won't be, which is why I likely won't buy a One any time soon.

9. ikesmasher

ikesmasher TS Evangelist Posts: 3,050   +1,384

backwards compatability is a free feature of xbox that has been available for approaching 2 years now and they add new games every week (each game has to be re-licensed correctly, FULLY tested, optimized for certain things, etc)

This is just paying $10 a month for free access to a catalog of games, including both xbox one and backwards compatible 360 games.

cliffordcooley likes this.
  10. cliffordcooley

OK I got it now. Was a little confused and didn't know it.

treeski likes this.
  11. kissx

kissx TS Enthusiast Posts: 86   +7

No thanks.

Add your comment to this article

You need to be a member to leave a comment. Join thousands of tech enthusiasts and participate.
TechSpot Account You may also...