Xbox One players will soon be able to eject discs with their controller

Humza

Staff member
Why it matters: For some odd reason, Microsoft chose not to carry over the small convenience of letting gamers pop out their discs from their console using a controller, back when the Xbox One launched seven years ago. The feature does help with system accessibility and is useful in case of a malfunctioning eject button for players who routinely swap game/media discs.

Gaming consoles are pretty much limited in terms of user modification (besides upgrading storage), so it makes sense for companies to make them as user-friendly as possible, given that the final product would likely be spending years on a TV shelf or someplace similar.

One of the features baked-in for this usability is allowing remote disc ejection via the console's controller, a function that's present on Sony's PS4 and will soon be returning to Microsoft's current Xbox console line-up, excluding, of course, the One S digital edition which comes without an optical disc drive.

The eject option was shared by an Xbox Insider on Reddit, and it now works by pressing the controller's 'X' button, as opposed to 'Y' used for the Xbox 360. While it may not mean much to those of a digital disposition, users reportedly requested the feature because of the Xbox One's eject button that's prone to damage after several years of use.

Microsoft also has existing workarounds for manually ejecting a disc, including bypassing the dedicated button with a paper clip. However, being able to do so with a controller is certainly more convenient, even if the subsequent steps of removing the ejected disc and slotting in another requires one to get off the couch.

Permalink to story.

How has this not been a thing until now? lol

Since I've owned my Xbox Day One Edition, I have owned exactly 1 game disk: Battlefield 4.

Once it was made downloadable, I downloaded the game and all DLC so I needn't bother with disks anymore.

Ultimately, being able to hotswap games simply by voice command is what sold me on Digital Downloads.

You don't really need to be able to eject games by controller...but you should have always been able to use the controller to navigate a menu icon to eject a game.

I know for myself I've been waiting for this option forever! Now I don't have to walk over to my Xbox to change discs. Wait, yes I do. So this feature is basically worthless unless your eject button stopped working in which case apparently finding a paperclip was just too much to ask.

Wow, what is going on at Microsoft? I think I had this feature on the original XBOX only after I soft modded it.

I still hate the fact that I can't shut off a wireless 360 controller for Windows without pulling the batteries. How hard would it have been to make it so it shut off by holding the Guide button? Games For Windows titles allowed you to shut it off in a menu, but we all know where GFW ended up.

Common sense seems to be missing at M$.

I've been holding back buying an XBOX One because it lacked this feature. Now I can relent. It's Go Time!

Since I've owned my Xbox Day One Edition, I have owned exactly 1 game disk: Battlefield 4.

Once it was made downloadable, I downloaded the game and all DLC so I needn't bother with disks anymore.

The games I own on Disc (multiple COD games and a few other titles) and have downloaded a digital copy to my XBox One Hard drive (mainly to install their forced updates) REQUIRES me to have the Disc in the Xbox when I want to play a disc game, so swapping discs is still needed if you own / play more than one game on disc. Must be their way of proving you own the game.

Back