Xbox One shipments to hit 10 million shortly, says Microsoft

Himanshu Arora

Staff

Just over a week after Xbox One's price cut came into effect, Microsoft has revealed that the console's sales in the US have more than tripled. "Starting as low as $349 in the US, the Xbox One is more affordable than ever this holiday season", said the company’s devices and studios chief Yusuf Mehdi, adding that the overall sales figure is set to hit the 10 million mark "shortly".

An important point worth noting is that Microsoft’s sales figures represent the number of devices shipped to retailers, rather than sales directly to consumers. The last time the company revealed sales numbers was in April, when it reported over 5 million systems had shipped to retailers worldwide.

The Redmond-based company announced last month that starting November 2, the Xbox One will be available for a special, limited-time promotional offer of $349 in the US. The offer, which runs until January 3rd, applies to any Xbox One console, including special edition bundles, offering games like Assassin’s Creed Unity, Call of Duty: Advanced Warfare, and Sunset Overdrive.

The news also comes a month after Sony reported it sold 3.3 million PS4 units worldwide during the three months between July and September, bringing its total unit sales to 13.5 million.

Back in May this year, the software giant announced its plans to release an Xbox One without Kinect, which went on sale the following month. The company later reported that sales in June were "more than double" those in May.

Permalink to story.

Shipments, and sales are two different things. The article's headline implies that ten million shipments have been sent out, but later contradicts itself by saying there have been near ten million sales.

Shipments, and sales are two different things. The article's headline implies that ten million shipments have been sent out, but later contradicts itself by saying there have been near ten million sales.

And compare that to the 90 million shipments Sony has then pfft microsoft really do think they have a chance... its like when microsoft yet again did what was it 30million shipments of there new phone and turns out only 3million sold it just like that except with a Xbox...

I mean seriously who wants a Xbox one besides those die hard xbox fans and people who are rich? I mean PS4 offers more value for money plus I bought mine for £350 with 4 games!!!

I bought my xbox one for £350 with 3 games. There are lots of people using them, get raids fast in destiny. All the people I play with are happy with them and no one is upset they haven't got a ps4.

And compare that to the 90 million shipments Sony has then pfft microsoft really do think they have a chance... its like when microsoft yet again did what was it 30million shipments of there new phone and turns out only 3million sold it just like that except with a Xbox...

I mean seriously who wants a Xbox one besides those die hard xbox fans and people who are rich? I mean PS4 offers more value for money plus I bought mine for £350 with 4 games!!!

What are you talking about? What 90 million?
Seriously a lot of people would want an xbox one. Here in Australia its selling for about $499 with 4 games compared to ps4 for $599 with two games. Plus there are 2 major exclusives coming out on xbox one that really interest a lot of people. With the coming price drop in US im pretty sure a lot of people will buy that console. Don't get me wrong, PS4 is a great console, xbox one as well. But when you say no one wants an xbox, you are dead wrong.

I had a friend round to see my xbox one and when we seitched back to the 360 it was as if we were playing without glasses on. The difference in sharpness and brightness of the image is massive. Yes the PS4 has stronger hardware but I was playing Shadow of Mordor on Xbox One and had to go online to check what resolution it was at because it looked so good I wasntvsure whether it was 1080p. It was 900p upscaled but the fact I had to check should tell you it's obviously not as important as people want you to think.

I also got Diablo 3 (which is great, apparently the frames at 1080p dip below 60 but I can't tell. It's so much better than the 360 version and great fun, loads of mobs on the screen, colors better etc) and forza horizon 2. Now that game is exclusive and looks the ****. Really, it's the best looking racing game I've ever played amd the game I use to show off the console.

Finally I've got destiny (as I had the digital 360 version and a free upgrade to xbox one). I've put 5 actual days play into the game now so think I've had my money's worth and still playing. The difference between generations again is immense.

What else to say. Love the controller, the battery life goes on for a couple of days on one set of rechargeable battery's amd it feels like an old friend, sticks where I like them. The UI could use some work but you can do a lot and the multitasking is pretty good. Install one game while playing another, review game clips, go back to the game and it's kept the same state, snap party chat to the side so I can see who's talking in a raid.

Yep. No one wants one of these :)

This is good news for Microsoft. I wonder how this will effect their console system package after the Xbox One? I figure that they learn a lesson that people want cheap things ahead of cool features.

I don't own either, never will - PC all the way. I like your post though...

Used to game pc but haven't logged into steam (think I have 250+ games on there) for 3 months. My friends are shocked! My chair is uncomfortable though and my sofa is lovely. I got hooked back on console games when microsoft started selling so many 360 games cheap digitally to gold members and giving games away. Just wish newer digital console games were cheaper.

Back