XBox sound through soundcard?

Status
Not open for further replies.
:rolleyes:
I want to run my XBox's sound through my pc's soundcard to my pc speakers.
Which sound card is the best solution for doing this? Given the XBox as Dolby Digital 5.1 capabilities. I don't want it to be dependant upon software of any sort as i flip between os's all the time.
SB Live Platinum, SB Audigy Platinum, Hercules Game Theatre XP??
Any suggestions are appreciated.

Originally posted by blowhole
:rolleyes:
I want to run my XBox's sound through my pc's soundcard to my pc speakers.
Which sound card is the best solution for doing this? Given the XBox as Dolby Digital 5.1 capabilities. I don't want it to be dependant upon software of any sort as i flip between os's all the time.
SB Live Platinum, SB Audigy Platinum, Hercules Game Theatre XP??
Any suggestions are appreciated.

I personnally have the Game Theater XP and like the breakout box and all the hook-ups on it. The cord from the sound card to box is about 4 feet. If you go with Audigy, you will have to hook up to the front of the Pc.

Another choice is the new Extigy, it is simmilar to the Game Theater in that it is external to the pc case. As to hooking it up to an XBox, not sure.

Well, first thing is I moved your thread to this forum. Now, on to your question, I believe that you are going to have to get the MS Advanced A/V pack so you can get a Dolby Digital connection.I think these things go for 20 bucks. Then you'll have to run a cable from the A/V pack to the sound card aux in jack. Shouldnt be that difficult.

I'd guess you want to use the X-Box AC-3 output then. Not sure what outputs it has but I assume Coaxial & Optical S/PDIF right?

The Audigy (& Live! 5.1 I think) will be able to decode AC-3 from an *external* source in the to be released drivers, not at the moment though.
GTXP can't ever, but it can be used for basic pass-through support.
The Extigy will automatically decode any AC-3 sent to it, so thats a good choice to.

Other than that you can buy a standalone AC-3/DTS decode cheap enough. Klipsch offer one for $100 or so.

Thanks, guys, i think i have figured it out. I am going to use an external decoder with digital 5.1 speakers, ie: klipsch 5.1's.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back