Xfer harddrive from blind computer to good computer

Status
Not open for further replies.
ive got a computer that will turn on and has all my computer stuff (music, movies blah blah blah,) from before i deployed to iraq, during its time in storage the computers video card took a **** and wont display on any tvs or monitors i have, but will still turn on and sounds like its running fine, my brother gave me his new computer when i got back and i was wondering how to hook up those hard drives from the other computer to my new computer so i can get all my IRON MAIDEN SONGS, and movies and other stuff, looking for the simpliest way to go about this thanks!

yes you can do that, just hook the hard drive up will the right cables and your free to copy all your info over to the new computer

in consumer computers there are two types of hard drives PATA and SATA
SATA_vs_PATA.png
IDE_SATA.jpg
. what every hard driver you have you can take the cable form the computer that doesn't work

then i can just access it from "my computer"?

Yes..

also... just fyi... you might also consider using a SATA/PATA/IDE to USB 2.0 adapter cable.(example, see here)

Either set of cables would work and each have their advantages. The adapter USB cable
> Would cost a few bucks (around $20-$30 USD, i think)
> Should handle any of the IDE/SATA/PATA drives
> Would allow you to simply connect/disconnect the drive to the good computer's USB port. (No need to open the good computer to connect or disconnect any cables)

Either is good. just up to you

use the hard drive as an external drive.

Your issue is probably a loose video cable. All that jostling in a cargo container will do it. I would have the video cable reseated. Could also be a loose motherboard. If the laptop isn't too old, it might be worth repairing. I brought my 5 year old toshiba laptop to Iraq twice. It's still chumming except the battery is going bad now. But for 5 years, who's complaining?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back