XFX GeForce 8800GT Problem - Black Screen on boot-up

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just bought and installed an XFX GeForce 8800GT 512MB Alpha Dog Edition, but on boot-up the screen is just black and nothing happens.

System Specs:

MOBO : ECS p4m900t - M2 rev 1.0
CPU : Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2Ghz
RAM : 1.5GB 667Mhz
PSU : 550W

I've checked that the card works in a friend's system; the only difference between her and my setup is the MOBO.

I've checked that my old 8600GT works as well, so it's not an issue with the PCI - E slot.

I've checked for BIOS updates for the MOBO, but couldn't find any listing this issue.

So I suppose my question is if there is any way of trying to fix this short of buying a new MOBO?

Thanks

Did you uninstall the old drivers before installing the new card? You should be able to run any PCI-e card so I highly doubt the mobo is holding you back. If you do have the drivers installed, here's what I would do...

1) put the 8600GT back in the slot
2) boot windows in safe mode
3) run driver cleaner pro to remove old drivers
4) turn the computer off
5) swap graphics cards
6) power up and see what happens

If you can get into Windows after all that, you can reinstall the drivers and you should be all set. If the system doesn't work still, perhaps a clearing of the CMOS would do the trick?

Thanks for the reply. Will keep it in mind for future upgrades. I decided that I need a better mobo in any case and upgraded. Man, the smoothness and detail is sublime.

Thanks again.

lol, wonder if he had onboard video he was accidentally using instead of the card port. I've done that a few times, and of course that causes a black screen.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back