Xmas computer for a friend - List

Status
Not open for further replies.

TimeParadoX

I'm working on a list of computer parts for my friend for Xmas, I haven't really looked into newer technology for about a year (phenom and other newer technology I barley know about), and I need help creating a list for her.

So far I have:

Powersupply: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817341002 (Might not be good enough these days)
RAM: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820227289
HardDrive: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136260
Case fan for case: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835185060

Possible case choice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811103014

Possible Motherboard choice: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131339

And CD/DVD drive I haven't chosen yet, same with processor & heatsink/fan.

For the videocard she'd like something that can play newer games.

Money really isn't a problem, but I'd like help creating a realistic price so anywhere from $700-1500.

I'm open to any suggestions, so please feel free to add or change any parts you see fit. :)

the psu is fine imo. get a 8600 gt or something of that nature, they're pretty decent. Get a core 2 duo 2.6 or better. p45 motherboard. with the other items you chose cost you about 800 at the most. Would be a pretty good setup.

the psu is fine imo. get a 8600 gt or something of that nature, they're pretty decent. Get a core 2 duo 2.6 or better. p45 motherboard. with the other items you chose cost you about 800 at the most. Would be a pretty good setup.

Well, the price isn't really a issue, since she's going to spend as much as she wants for her computer. She wants something more like a 9 series or even a 280. She wants a AMD/nVidia build. Thanks for the suggestions though.

A girl gamer? How nice of you :)

Honestly, I think it's much better if you goes with Intel/nVidia setup, because at this press time, Intel is kicking AMD's **** with a low price and fastest chips available.

Let say if you can try Q6600 and 9800GT? That would put you around 700 to start with a good system.

Well, the price isn't really a issue, since she's going to spend as much as she wants for her computer. She wants something more like a 9 series or even a 280. She wants a AMD/nVidia build. Thanks for the suggestions though.

9800 gtx is cheap

intel outperforms amd right now, no comparison.

If she is going to squeeze a few more years out of this build, it should be built "intel."

The 280 sounds nice though, i dont see the point though unless she's running a 24" or higher monitor though.

Try this build as an alternative to yours:
Grand Total = $1100.93 without considering rebates and shipping. Pick the case and fans of your choice, although I'd recommend a Cooler Master Centurion 5 and some Yate Loon\Nexus Real Silent D12SL-12 case fans.

An alternative AMD\NVIDIA build would have you replace the relevant parts above with these parts:
Grand Total = $1028.94, again not including rebates and shipping.

Rage.... she wanted nvidia setup, not ATI.

And beside E7300 is little more cheaper and still run heck fast.

EDITED=

I kept forgetting this. If she want the bang for the bucks, nvidia 9800GT is only way to go.

9800 gt isnt all that great, he did in fact say he didnt have many limitations as far as price.

I have listed an alternative build too, in case you hadn't noticed. And the E7300 has half the cache of the E8400, and games need as much cache memory as you can get.

Plus, the 9800GT is not a step up in any way from an 8800GT, and bang-for-buck depends on the price point you're looking for. For a $1000-ish budget, I wouldn't hesistate to recommend a card costing $200-250, primarily because the higher price will definitely net higher performance.

intel/nvidia all the way....that is all.

.......unless you go 4870x2, that'll shine nicely.
But the 260 is a cracking card also...and much cheaper than the 280.

Thank you rage for the only good post in this entire thread.

I'll check out your stuff, thank you very much Rage. :)

Oh, also what is a good HS&F and DVD drive?

Charming!
That's gratitude for you.

Read back through the thread, he is the only one who actually gave a list of parts for what I asked for. Instead of "LOL GIRL GAMER! LOLOLOLOLOL" and getting Intel, etc. She wanted AMD/nVidia because she likes those companies over Intel/ATI.

yes, but your reason was "she likes amd/nvidia". You would have thought that seeing as you're building it for her you'd try and adviser her better, as we did for you mate, silly remarks aside. nvidia are more in bed with intel as far as chipsets go so intel/nvidia is a better choice as far as most builders are concerned. Saying that i have intel/ati, but still most people offered advice and different choices of card.

Just seems a little negative to effectively trash everyone elses post when all they tried to do was offer advice. If you found it non-useful, just ignore it...... :rolleyes:

yes, but your reason was "she likes amd/nvidia". You would have thought that seeing as you're building it for her you'd try and adviser her better, as we did for you mate, silly remarks aside. nvidia are more in bed with intel as far as chipsets go so intel/nvidia is a better choice as far as most builders are concerned. Saying that i have intel/ati, but still most people offered advice and different choices of card.

Just seems a little negative to effectively trash everyone elses post when all they tried to do was offer advice. If you found it non-useful, just ignore it...... :rolleyes:

Well, it's what she wants. And I'm not building it for her since she's miles away in another city. I'm just buying the parts she wants. :)

aah....at the end of the day you've hopefully got the advice you needed, and seeing as Rage is omnipresent and an evangelist to boot, its all good. :D

I'm not sure about your girl gamer, but I've found this page to be helpful for myself.
intel/nvidia all the way....that is all.

.......unless you go 4870x2, that'll shine nicely.
But the 260 is a cracking card also...and much cheaper than the 280.

I'm quite the fan as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back