XP - A Problem has been deteced and windows.... - Stop 0x0000007E - Blue Screen!

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdamHuckle

Hey Guys,

New to the website and man alive, i'm stuck in a really huge rut at the moment, Can anyone help? :grinthumb

I turned on my Dell Dimension 2400 this morning and a blank screen came up saying simply "NTLDR is missing. Press Clt+Alt+Del to Restart"

Well after almost seven hours of trying, and looking up help with my trusty laptop, the problem went away. Don't really know how, but it did.

Only for me to be met with another problem and this one has really got me stumped - I cant find any help for it online at all.

I turn on the computer now, and windows Xp (home edition btw) loads up and i get the little Windows Logo and the green status bar scrolls across the screen, Then the screen will flicker and the following, god awful, BLUE SCREEN message comes up....

_________________________________-

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try chaging video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF85F9AD9, 0xF898B7A4, 0xF898B4A4)

I have come across this before a couple of times and a restart has made the blue screen go away, I never noted if it had any "Technical Information" before, i dont think it did. Restarting the Dell doesn't make this blue screen go away.

I know i also have addequate Disk Space, im positive of that, so it can't be that.

I really don't have a clue how to stop this / cure it - i can't loose my information on my computer, it holds a lot of data (and yes, its the age of problem of it not being backed up - i know, im a 'tard)

If anyone has any ideas about what will help me get into windows and at least let me burn my info to disk / copy it to a USB memory stick before reinstalling windows, as i really can't afford to loose info.

Any help is gonna be welcome, thanks guys, your my only hope :darth:

hiya,

thanks for the reply but i've have tried everything on the Microsoft website and its all linked to things that have nothing relating to my machine.

I cant get past this blue screen, and it only occured around 2 hours ago.

if anyone can help i will owe you!

Thanks again...

do you have a windows xp (assuming you use XP) recovery/instalation disk?

If so, you might either try repairing the existing installation, or perhaps you might simply try to boot into the recovery console and run 'chkdsk /r'

Both of these may take a while though.

Chkdsk is a recovery console tool that checks your disk for damage and corruption, repiaring as and when necessary where it can.

hey.

Yea i do have XP (Home Edition).

I have tried using the Windows XP Reinstallation CD and i have ran setup and it scanned the computer, it was once i did this that the NTLDR message went away and then the blue screen trouble began...

I am about to try the other method. I don't know my Administator password though, i'll give it a try.

Here goes nothing....

AdamHuckle said:
Hey Guys,

New to the website and man alive, i'm stuck in a really huge rut at the moment, Can anyone help? :grinthumb

I turned on my Dell Dimension 2400 this morning and a blank screen came up saying simply "NTLDR is missing. Press Clt+Alt+Del to Restart"

Well after almost seven hours of trying, and looking up help with my trusty laptop, the problem went away. Don't really know how, but it did.

Only for me to be met with another problem and this one has really got me stumped - I cant find any help for it online at all.

I turn on the computer now, and windows Xp (home edition btw) loads up and i get the little Windows Logo and the green status bar scrolls across the screen, Then the screen will flicker and the following, god awful, BLUE SCREEN message comes up....

_________________________________-

A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.

If this is the first time you've seen this Stop error screen, restart your computer. If this screen appears again, follow these steps:

Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the Stop message, disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for driver updates. Try chaging video adapters.

Check with your hardware vendor for any BIOS updates. Disable BIOS memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use Safe Mode to remove or disable components, restart your computer, press F8 to select Advanced Startup Options, and then select Safe Mode.

Technical Information:

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF85F9AD9, 0xF898B7A4, 0xF898B4A4)

I have come across this before a couple of times and a restart has made the blue screen go away, I never noted if it had any "Technical Information" before, i dont think it did. Restarting the Dell doesn't make this blue screen go away.

I know i also have addequate Disk Space, im positive of that, so it can't be that.

I really don't have a clue how to stop this / cure it - i can't loose my information on my computer, it holds a lot of data (and yes, its the age of problem of it not being backed up - i know, im a 'tard)

If anyone has any ideas about what will help me get into windows and at least let me burn my info to disk / copy it to a USB memory stick before reinstalling windows, as i really can't afford to loose info.

Any help is gonna be welcome, thanks guys, your my only hope :darth:
NTLDR is missing,Sounds to me you partitioned your drive and did something wrong I am to far away to see,did you mark the primary partition as active,this must be done for startup.You can only use one active system partition at one time.Mark the system partition properly as active beforew restarting,you may get this error come up a again if not set up correctly

when it asked for the Administrator Password, i don't know it so i pressed enter and it loads for a second and then shows

C:\WINDOWS>

and i typed in, at your advise, " CHKDSK/r " and it said "Command Not Recognized Type HELP for a list of supported commands."

So i just tried typing CHKDSK and it said the following

Volume Created 12/13/04 11:25a
The Volume serial Number is 7c**-**** (i've starred out the numbers)

The volume appears to be in good condition and was not checked.
Use /p if you want to check the volume anyway.

780883932 kilobytes total disk space.
59620288 kilobytes are avaliable

4096 bytes in each allocation unit
19520983 total allocation units on disk
14905072 allocation units avaliable on disk

C:\WINDOWS>

I then tried typing " \p " as it advised, but it says it was not recoginised, just like with the \r command.

any more clues? i really appreciate your help so far :)

u mean the administrator password in the safe mode? it should be the same password that you use for windows (if you use one), if not, try admin or administrator for the password. also, see if you can borrow a hard drive from somebody and boot up to make sure the HD is the problem.

i have ran tests on the computer and it said there were no problems with the hardware, also, the Password im talking about is the password it asks for when you try to Repair windows, it says ADMINISTRATOR PASSWORD :

:( so confused.

I just pressed f10 instead of f8 and it said "KEYBOARD FAILURE BOIS version AO2"

does that help at all?

ok i now changed a few settings on the sytem setup and i now have a different "STOP : " code. here it is...

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF85E9AD9, 0xF89CF7A4, 0xF89CF4A4)

anyone got any ideas?

a

I have the very same problem with my laptop. I know it is not the hard drive because I tried the drive in another computer. In my case I beilive that it is because I just went from win 98 to win xp. After i upgraded this came up. I figure I need to upgrade my bios. How do I flash bios when i cant get the computer to boot in regular OR safe mode>>>???

Thanks JOHN

Y ou can run a repiar without the Admin password, It is called a repiar install. At the frist screen of the setup press enter to cont. setup. Then agree to the lic. agreement. Then press R to repair, that will run a repair on the OS. But sometime it will not give you that option.

Running chkdsk

Adam, In your post you said you ran chkdsk \r and it didn't recognize the command. Did you try running chkdsk /r ? The forward slash is used for switches when running commands.

Rick

AdamHuckle said:
ok i now changed a few settings on the sytem setup and i now have a different "STOP : " code. here it is...

*** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0xF85E9AD9, 0xF89CF7A4, 0xF89CF4A4)

anyone got any ideas?

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

First of all the chkdsk command should be in this format chkdsk /r that is chkdsk followed by a space then the forward slash then r. This will scan your hdd for bad sectors and attempt recovery.

You can also use f instead of r to fix file system errors I.E chkdsk /f

Also take a look at this article. http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/N/NTLDR.html

I also recommend downloading and running Memtest86+ from www.memtest.org.

Let it run for at least seven passes. If you don`t have a floppy drive, there is an iso version that you can burn to cd then boot from that.

Also please will you fill in your full system specs in your user profile at the top of any page(click on edit profile). See HERE for a list of things we need to know.

If you aren`t sure of your system specs you can download the free Everest programme from HERE It will give you lots of info about your system.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Some advice

I had the same problem the other day (with a small difference - I [think] I knew the cause). The beloved Blue screen (of death), I don't think anyone here hasn't had it before. Well just some advice - and sorry for being so blunt... Your stuffed. Give up. The only thing you can do now is go into safe mode (press f8 or something similar - you may have to hold down the button if you don't get much time to press it) and then back up all your information. If you have a second HDD then put everything on it, then disconnect and reformat the primary drive. Then put all your valuable data back where it was. Easy! If you don't, put it all on your laptop if you have enough room.

The problem I had was a driver incompadability issue amoung several numerous other things, when I had changed everything - motherboard (intel to AMD - intels way better), powersupply, graphics, etc. Wasted a few days doing it too.

So in short. Backup all your data in safe mode, and start new. If you don't know the admin password, just go to http://www.loginrecovery.com/index.html and follow the instructions. Goodluck.

Ps: What does everyone think of my name. Can you see any possiable improvements that I can do?

Attachments

• blue screen of death.JPG
    blue screen of death.JPG
    36.5 KB · Views: 62
check the dates dude.. life goes on.. and i dont know if you can improve your name. and i think you're stuck with it. sorry.

Sorry

Check the dates...got it. Sorry, but I'm new. Here. Oh well, I'm sure everyone will aggree that people learn by their mistakes. I know I do.
Oh, and thanks for the tip.

Stop 0x0000007E error

I have a similar blue screen of death. The numbers in brackets after the 0x0000007E error are as follows (0xC0000005, 0xF184D4D0, 0xF789EFC8, 0xF789ECC4). I assume that this refers to a piece of hardware installed on my PC. Any ideas where or how I can find out what ?

Thank you

ok.. time for some troubleshooting.

- pc specs?
- have you had any environmental changes recently? Hardware, software, virus etc?
- is all your windows update and device drivers up to date?
- at what condition/what where you doing when you got the BSOD?

hey guys

hi guys, i have a problem wit my laptop, the specs are at:
http://laptopmag.com/Review/HP-Pavi...4900.htm?Page=0

When i turn on the laptop, it says :
SMART failure predicted on hard disk 0: HITACHI_DK23FA-40-(PM)
WARNING: immediately back up your data and replace05h) your hard disk drive. A failure maybe imminent.
Press F1 to continue

when i press F1, it says:
NTLDR is missing
Press Ctrl+Alt+Del to restart

so guys what can i do, i am lost in this matter because i hardly use my laptop besides for college work or aol instant messenger, so what do u suggest i do?any help would be greatly appreciated.

that link doesnt work sorry.. but i'm guessing its a hp pavilion 4900 series laptop?

When i turn on the laptop, it says :
SMART failure predicted on hard disk 0: HITACHI_DK23FA-40-(PM)
WARNING: immediately back up your data and replace05h) your hard disk drive. A failure maybe imminent.
Press F1 to continue
I think thats a major clue right there... your hard drive is about to fail, and hence corrupted your windows files as well to a point that it wont let it boot.

Options:
- try and find out if you can get a HDD diagnostic utility that is compatible with the Hitachi brand HDDs (theres a list of them on this forum somewhere, sorry i dont have the link on me)

-get your hands on a winxp disk, then boot to recovery console
run chkdsk /f and sfc /scannow

-0 format the hdd, then put windows back on it

-if its under warranty then send it for repairs

-if its not under warranty, and you're up to opening up the laptop, just find and replace your hdd with another compatible one (maybe bigger size if you want :D), usualy a 2.5" hdd.. or send it to a laptop repair shop.

If you have important data on there, you'll have to get it off somehow.. one such methods is to take out the hdd and plug it into a different machine as slave, but im not too sure that is going to be effective or not

thanx for ur help, now i guess i have to replace my hard drive, but atleats now i know what needs to be done, thank you, i jus have another quick question for u, if i buy another hard drive, can i install windows professional xp on it?

you can install anything you like on it :)

just make sure your licence key for winxp is a valid one.. you can even use the one that came with your laptop...

I have just bulit my first computer and everything worked when i turned it on, but i also recieved the same blue screen when i tried to install windows. when it was about to start the setup it goes straight to the blue screen. So i took it to best buy to the geek squad and they said it would probably be the hard drive. so i bought a new one and installed it and low and behold the same thing happened again. so the guy at best buy said he could run a diagnostic to determine what it was but for 80 bucks! i said no thanks since i just spent quite a bit on the system. any ideas will be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back