XP boot drive doesn't recognize HDD

ihaveaname

Hey guys,

I installed Ubuntu 10.10 a while back, and it's been good to me. However, I want to be able to play games (specifically AOE II), so I wanted to set up a dual boot. Thing is though, when I go to install Windows XP (I am NOT installing Windows 7 on my netbook with 1GB of RAM) the netbook's HDD is not detected; it recognises my USB drive and nothing else. Any ideas on why that might be, and if so, how to fix it up? I knowXP is supposed to work on it, since it came with the computer.

CPU: Intel Atom 1.66GHz
RAM: 1GB DDR2
HDD: 160GB SATA2 5400RPM

Cheers

Windows XP lacks most SATA drivers that are needed to recognize SATA hard drives. A floppy drive is needed to install SATA drivers at the F6 prompt but I doubt your netbook has one. Instead, you will have to make a slipstream CD that combines the regular XP CD with the appropriate SATA drivers. Do a web search to find guides to create a slipstream SATA/Windows XP CD.

Some BIOS' allow you to turn off SATA/AHCI/RAID mode and/or enable IDE mode which would eliminate the need to create a slipstream CD. However, since you already have Ubuntu on another partition, I'm not sure if doing that would harm that installation.

Back