XP Boot Problem (Mouse and Keyboard)

Status
Not open for further replies.

DeltaPhoenix

I have a problem with my computer.
If i boot Windows XP, it starts just fine, but when the desktop is displayer, the cursor doesn't show up, and my keyboard stops responding. The only thing i can do, is hold the power button and wait for it to shut down. I can't figure the problem, since it worked just fine yesterday... But if i boot from Vista, (Which i do now) it works just fine.

The last thing i did on my XP, was install "USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA"-drivers. But after that, i re-booted twice without that error.

Any ideas how to fix that? (Since i don't want to lose my data by re-installing XP)

-------------

Since my previous post got removes within 3 hours, i'll try again, explaining the problem a little better.

When i try to boot Windows XP Home Edition SP2, It boots perfectly until the desktop appears. The cursor was usually the first thing showing up, and then the rest. Now, the cursor doesn't show up, and the keyboard is not responding.
But, Windows continues to launch applications, if there were no problems at all. It's not freezing. Only thing is, that i can't do anything except shut it down. Because of that, i can't check out what could be wrong.

I dual-boot between Vista and XP. There is no problems with Vista at all.

(PS: If this is a generic problem, please give me a link to another topic.)

I'm on an Acer Extensa 5230.
Some Intel processor 2.0 GHZ
Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family (Display adapter)
Broadcom NetXtreme Gigabit Ethernet

Please help me with this one, since i don't want to re-install Windows XP.

The keyboard and mouse are most probably USB devices. And computers have more than one USB port. Have you tried connecting them to different USB ports? According to the specs for your system, it has USB 2.0 ports quantity and PS2 connectors. Since Vista does not have the problem, it has to be within the windows XP environment.

You should also check for errors in the Device Manager:
Control Panel> system> Hardware tab> Device Manager> click on the + sign to expand the USB section. Look for any yellow triangles with black ! points indicating an error.

All Programs> Accessories> Accessibility> On-screen keyboard.
Something to consider: did you do any scans while in Windows XP where something was found and quarantined or deleted?

You can use the arrow keys on lower right of keyboard to move if needed. And you should also be able to launch an on-screen keyboard.

-------------

FYI: your original thread wasn't deleted. The moderator renamed it and you didn't recognize it!
Last edited by kimsland; 20 Hours Ago at 08:00 PM.. Reason: Renamed thread from "XP Problems"

Well, it looks like you have 3 threads going on the same subject. Please try and include ll of the information in the same post.

For instance:
The last thing i did on my XP, was install "USB 2.0 to IDE/SATA"-drivers. But after that, i re-booted twice without that error.

https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic126495.html

Obviously something went wrong!

--------------

See: https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic126495.html

Subject: Windows XP Boot Problem (Mouse and Keyboard)

Now i'm really confused...

Anyways...

I wrote that i can't do anything except shut Windows down. My keyboard is not responding no matter what i press and my cursor wont show up, and isn't responding too. So i can't go into Device Manager. The only things i can mess with are the BIOS, and Vista.

And, it's a Laptop. So both Keyboard and Touchpad are included. No USB things are connected. And the cursor doesn't even appear. It always does, even if there is no mouse connected.

Yes, I can understand how you are confused. When I checked the system, I missed that it was a laptop.

You need to access the system somehow: try this:
Boot into Safe Mode

* Restart your computer and start pressing the F8 key on your keyboard. AFTER the logo loads, BEFORE Windows starts to load.
* Select the Safe Mode option when the Windows Advanced Options menu appears, and then press ENTER.

Using Windows XP> Start> Run> msconfig> enter> Selective Startup> Startup menu> look for the Synaptics Touchpad Driver and make sure it's check to start on boot. If it is NOT checked to startup CHECK it> Apply> OK.

When you reboot, ignore the nag message and close it after checking 'don't show message again.' Stay in Selective Startup.

It' not making sense to me that they work on the Vista boot but not Windows XP!

Yeah, i tried that too, but i got the same problem... No response at all.
Any other ideas? Or should i start making some backup and re-install Windows?

PS: When i turn on my computer, i made it NOT show the logo and i found something interesting (at least I think so) It says: Fixed Disc 0: *Insert weird number here* (My HDD) Could that mean anything?

BUMP! sorry...

not really... i can still access my whole HDD from Vista... I'm actually to re-format it and install Windows again, if only i could my restore disc...

Hi, I would try unplugging then plugging back in the usb devices after xp has loaded to see if the os detects them.It could also be a legacy problem in that the bios is not set to detect legacy usb devices such as keyboards and mice.Enter the bios and look for the option to detect legacy devices and check that, save and exit.Just sounds like an xp driver problem though.
Good luck

I would try using a different mouse and external keyboard and see if that works... It's possible it's in the settings of XP but if you can't do anything, it's possible you might just have to use your recovery disks and restore XP.

I would try a separate keyboard and mouse first and see if that works, if not restore the OS would be my recommendation.

I am having a very similar problem, only as I have a login screen, it freezes the second I touch the keyboard. Earlier this morning, I was working in a spreadsheet program and the keyboard was behaving very oddly, not activating spaces, I had to click with the mouse to activate it even after tabbing to the space. In safe mode I can move around as long as I don't touch the keyboard and I noticed that Default, Sam, Software, etc. are in my recycling bin. I upgraded my Trend Micro Internet Security yesterday from 2007 to 2009. The other computer also running XP , which was also updated yesterday, seems fine.

My computer is running Windows XP service Pack 3,
Athlon ? 32 bit 2.0 MHz (it's been awhile since I've had to look at this information and I can't exactly remember)
The keyboard and mouse are Logitech wireless models, less than a year old.
I also have 3 MB of Ram.
I have also tried to boot to previous known good without luck. I tried another keyboard, which the system detects just fine, but I don't have a wireless mouse, and the keyboard seems to freeze too, as using tab, etc, won't work. How do you get the onscreen keyboard?

I had a user with the same problem this morning. She came in and booted up and it came to the log-in screen (Domain log-in) and was stuck there. No mouse or keyboard movement at all. I immediately unplugged it from the network and and booted into safe mode. Everything worked fine then. Mouse and keyboard were fine and I logged in to the local admin account.

After running a mcafee scan in safe mode I saw that it had the spy-agent.bw mem trojan. I went through all of the removal steps on the Mcafee site and removed it completely. I thought that would fix it, but after I restarted, it was doing the same thing (no mouse or keyboard functions). Finally I restarted in safe mode again and did a system restore to a restore point from 2 days ago. That seemed to fix the problem. She has been up for most of the day and I have made her re-boot several times randomly through out the day and still no problems.

If you have system restore enabled on your machine, I suggest you do a restore from a point when the mouse and keyboard were working ok.

Hope this helps..

Mike

Thanks for the info, but I sort of burned my bridges when I tried a windows repair. It got stuck at a certain point and wouldn't progress past despite trying three of four times. Should have known better, tried to repair SP3 with a SP2 disk. Oh well. The hard drives were around 6 or 7 years old anyways and my C:\ partition was jammed, so I bought a shiny new hard drive and started from scratch. I was able to pull a lot of data off the old drives and my documents and music were already backed up. What frightens me is that perhaps there was a virus, but I run Trend micro always up to date and scan regularly. I know that they are not perfect, but how much protection does a computer need, short of never going on line?

Basic protection:

One antivirus program
One software firewall- if you use a router, most will then add hardware firewall. this is a good combination.
Two or more spyware/adware programs.

Remember, all of these programs are only as good as their updates and configurations. My preference is stand-alone programs rather than suites- the reason is because if there is a program, it's easier to troubleshoot a stand_aloe rather than a suite.

NO security program or combination of programs is guaranteed to keep a user 100% safe. The reason being the user is the first line of protection. What the user does is where it begins, from opening email from unknown senders, opening unknown attachments, clicking on pop-ups, going to questionable or known bad sites and so on.

Safe setting in the browser are also a line of defense.

I am a firm believer in the Windows System Restore feature. I would make sure you have it enabled for future events that may cause crashes or lockups.

From MS Web site:
Windows XP periodically records a snapshot of your computer. These snapshots are called restore points. Windows XP also creates restore points at the time of significant system events (such as when an application or driver is installed) or you can create and name your own restore points at any time. If you've installed a program that has made your computer unstable, you can open system restore, choose a restore point, and return your computer to its previous stable state.

This feature is a must for gamers or anyone who mods their PC. If there are any bad drivers or software installs, it will restore back to a stable state.

I have System Restore on and have always had it on. When you can't hit the keyboard without freezing the system, makes it kinda hard to do certain things.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back