XP C: drive ok in Explorer not in Disk Management

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I see only CD-ROM drive under Disk Management. Hard disks are not seen. Logical drive C and D are otherwise accessible (eg., via Explorer, Disk Defragmenter) and work normally.

I had setup the following services with Start up Type = Automatic:
  • Plug and Play (Logon as Local service)
  • Remote Procedure Call (RPC) (Logon as Network Service)
  • Logical Disk Manager (Logon as Local service)
  • Logical Disk Manager Administrative Service (Logon as Local service)
I also tried adding the following to the list above without luck:
  • Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Locator (Logon as Network Service)

System: Windows XP Professional Version 2002 SP 3

I also had an E drive (Seagate Free Agent Pro connected to USB port). This is not showing anywhere (Explorer or Disk Manager). However, Partition Manger (3rd party software) picked it up and shows correct % used/free. Device Manger shows it correctly too under Disk Drives.

Help please...

Regards,
Anil

Attachments

• ScreenShots.pdf
    114.3 KB · Views: 11
Yea. That's pretty strange. A couple observations / things to do

Disk Management issues
Disk Management does require the two Logical Disk Manager services tho your screen shot does show them as Started so they should be OK
=> Have you rebooted? Does this problem occur after rebooting? If so, reboot again then
=>Let's see if anything is appearing in your Windows Event Logs
  • Click Start->Run, enter: cmd
  • Copy the loooonnngggg command line below and paste it after the prompt in the command prompt window. Then hit Enter. When complete (may take 30secs or so) you'll find the file events.txt on your desktop
  • Attach the events.txt file to a TechSpot post. When you create your TechSpot post, use the paper clip icon to attach the report. (If you don't see it among your icons, you need to click the TechSpot Go Advanced button towards bottom of window)
    Code:
    cscript "C:\WINDOWS\system32\eventquery.vbs" /l application /l system /r 35 /v  /fo table /fi "Type eq error OR Type eq warning" > "%userprofile%\desktop\events.txt"
Device Manager shows an unknown device
Don't know that it's related, but Do you know what that is?
Check if Windows reports any problem devices
  • First make sure all your devices are connected and powered on
  • Click Start->Run, enter: msinfo32
  • Click the + sign next to Components to expand it
  • Click Problem Devices. Anything appear?
  • If yes, click on it, then Edit->Select All, Edit->Copy Paste into next post

Response

Hi,

Here is the response.

Attachment: events.txt

Problem devices:
Cisco Systems VPN Adapter ROOT\NET\0000 This device is disabled.
Fingerprint Sensor USB\VID_08FF&PID_2580\5&570F764&0&2 This device is disabled.
Not Available ACPI\IFX0102\4&374CCB25&1 The drivers for this device are not installed.
Not Available ACPI\HPQ0004\3&B1BFB68&0 The drivers for this device are not installed.

Thanks.

OK. i haven't gone through all the logs yet but a couple comments/things to start

• I forgot to ask. What make / model computer do you have???
  • fyi... Note you have two disabled devices (your Cisco VPN adapter and Fingerprint reader). These should not affect your problem
  • You have two uninstalled ACPI drivers. These are related to your power management functions. We should fix those but i don't think they affect your problem either
  • I WOULD like you to try the following
    • Configure both Logical Disk Manager and Logical Disk Manager Admin Service to StartupType=Manual
    • Reboot your computer. You should see both their status=Stopped
    • Now start Disk Management. (You may actually see a message appear at bottom Disk Management window saying it's connecting to the services). Wait 15 seconds or so and check their status again. They should now both show status=Started
    • Close Disk Management. LDM service should still show status=Started and LDM Admin Services show status=Stopped
    • If you still have Disk Management problems look in your System Event Log and see if any messages now from Service Control Manager about stopping/starting the services that are inconistent with the results i explained/anticipated above for these services
  • Also check on the status of SRService. Don't think it's your Disk Management problem but appears your System Restore service is also failing to start (is status=Stopped and StartupType=Automatic?) which needs to be fixed

Sorry for the late reply. Had "Google search result redirecting" problem. Followed this thread by MFLYNN: 741649

Now everything is normal!

Thanks a lot for your time LookingInAround!

Glad Mflynn could fix it for you! One caution tho: check your event log to make sure that SRService error is also now fixed (i don't know if they're related and you DO want to be certain your System Restore service is working correctly when / if ever it comes time to need it!!)

Sorry for the late reply. Had "Google search result redirecting" problem. Followed this thread by MFLYNN: 741649

Now everything is normal!

Thanks a lot for your time LookingInAround!

Hi nirvana1959,
My PC has the same problem as your, I am wondering if you can guide me where is URL to fix this or can you post your solution here ?. Thanks

Hi hbdit

I have not been available last week or so but someone PM'ed me asking that I look at your issue. Have been very busy with work but at their request I will look at your issue only for now.

Do the TechSpot 8 steps: https://www.techspot.com/community/...lware-removal-preliminary-instructions.58138/

Skip no steps (do not install another virus scanner if you already have one, ask me before installing a Firewall).
avg

Most importantly update MalwareBytes (MBAM) and SuperAntiSpyware (SAS)!

Before you scan with either MalwareBytes or SuperAntiSpyWare do the Extra Configs below these have become most important lately

SuperAntispyware extra config

After installed double-click the icon on your desktop to run it.

Update the program definitions.

Click the Preferences button.

Then Scanning Control.

In Scanner Options make sure all boxes are checked except #3 Ignore System Restore.. are checked:

MalwareBytes extra config

After update but before running
Click settings and confirm all are Checked.

I repeat Update these 2 programs.

Run them and attach their logs.

Not only will this eliminate the possibility of Malware but give me insight into your system.

Mike

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back