XP doesn't recognize cd and dvd drives

Status
Not open for further replies.

IronFront

They're connected correctly, and even open up. However, they do not show up in My Computer and nothing happens if I put in a CD. Help?

Describe the kind of cable are they connected to the motherboard with.

It's not clear to me if you just installed these drives or were they working fine up until now? Are the jumpers on the back set correctly? Master/slave or cable select?

No, I've had this problem for a while. They've never worked in the time I've had the computer. Like I said, the plugs are in correctly. Master/slave.

Hi

Hello!

Go to device manager and uninstall the CD/DVD drive --

Click on start - Run - Regedit - Ok

Delet Upper filters / Lower filters and No install class and restart the computer and that will resolve the issue-

Hope this helps -
Take care
Hemant

There were no Upper filters or Lower Filters. But, I deleted the No Install Class and restarted. It didn't work.

hi

Can you tell me if the drive is detected under device manager or check if the drive is getting detected under bios- Because if the drive is getting in any one of the places Changing the IDE cable will not help -- Tried to boot the computer with windows Xp anf if it does than the issue will be with windows Xp and u will need to reinstall windows--

No, it is not in bios or device manager. It will not boot with windows CD. I guess I have to get a new IDE cable.

hi

If you have a floppy drive on the system tried to swap the cables for the folppy drive and check if that works--

hemant

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back