XP freezes after format

Status
Not open for further replies.

xxdanielxx

Hey I have this laptop which after a clean format with a clean install of xp is still freezing. I have ran check tools on the

hdd
cpu

and both have pass I am running memtest+ right now just started. What can be the problem. I thought it could be the hdd but it passed also I am kinda thinking the ram it has 2x512 ddr2 sticks

How old is the hard drive?... What test did it pass? a hard drive can pass a test and still be bad. Can you try another drive as a test...
To test the drive, use the drive fitness test of the manufacturer (everybody except Toshiba has one) or use the one at Seagate or Western Digital website.
The problem can be any hardware problem so it will take a long time.
Memtest MUST run for four hours or seven passes before you have a good indication of the memory.

Another test is run just one memory module at a time, then test again by running just the other module.

memtest did not show any errors so i removed one stick then the other but same problem. I ran the hdd test and it froze when it was half way done i tied it 3 times same thing. could it be the hdd

OK I changed the hard drive and now it does something a littel different. It goes on a loop of reboots but I can get passed it by hiting the f8 key and chosing last good known configuration. What can it be

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back