XP Reactivation Killed my Modem

Status
Not open for further replies.
Windows XP SP2 PC notified me I had to reauthorize (or reactivate) XP because of numerous hardware changes (hadn't made any in over a year). ReAuthorization went OK but after reboot when I'd log onto the internet it would disconnect me after I'd try to access something. Sometimes it disconnects after logging on, other times it runs incredibly slow, will only access email then disconnects.
After much trial and error, if I uninstalled MS XP modem device driver, search for a new device and reinstall drivers everything would work, until the next boot when I have to repeat process. It is beyond my understanding why it is not necessary to install the drivers from the XP disk. The only revelation from wrangling with MS support in India, and going up 3 levels, was they can't speak American English well and couldn't follow simple diagnostic logic flow. To them it was all the ISP providers fault despite the problem occurring on 3 different ISPs and showing up immediately after XP ReAuthorization.
Using CheckIt results in very strange responses. There are 2 separate portions to CheckIt modem testing; (1) modem recognition / capability report and (2) modem testing. Sometimes the recognition portion doesn't detect the modem but the test portion runs successfully. FYI: XPs Device Manager Diagnostics modem tests successfully every time.
Now for the capper. This exact problem occurred a few years ago. An in-store geek said he'd heard of this and the only solution he knew of was to buy a new modem. After 2 weeks of headaches a $20 modem fix was money well spent. It was money well spent as it did fix the problem, until now.
Also after ReAuthorization Device Manager says I have a Nvidia Network adapter but there is no network or adapter and I don't know why it said this so I disabled it. I do have Nvidia video card.

Finally, I found the below description of a how to avoid ReActivating in the future. Is this safe?
Avoiding XP ReAuthorization
You can avoid reactivation by simply copying a file from your Windows directory and saving it on a USB stick, floppy drive, or CD. When you first activate, Windows XP creates a file called “WPA.DBL” in the C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32 directory. All you’ve to do is, just copy this file to external storage device and keep it in a safe place. When you reinstall Windows XP, and come to the point where you’re asked for activation, just decline the activation process and complete your Windows installation. Now you’ll need to restart your computer in Safe Mode by pressing F8 on startup to get into the Advanced Boot Options menu. Go to C:\Windows\System32 and you should see a file called WPA.DBL. Simply rename it to something like WPA.BACKUP and then copy your backup version of WPA.DBL to the current location. Restart your computer and Windows should now be activated and working fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back