XP rebooting, bad_pool_header

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olja

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Hey guys! :)

I browsed whole forum and still couldn't find solution to my problems so SORRY for starting a thread with topic you must have done a million times.

Problem with my pc is that it reboots from time to time while I am on the net (never while working in other programs than Iexplorer). I usually get BSOD with message "bad_pool_header" with info: " STOP 0x00000019 (0x00000020, 0x86301D68, 0xA210004)"
After sending a report to Microsoft I got message first about device driver that caused the error, then if I send it couple of times in a short period of time I get info that it’s "graphics device driver” causing error. I installed Opera browser and surprisingly – no reboots while using it. But since I am used to IE and that using it only from time to time and being afraid pc will reboot annoyed me, after a week I decided to clean-install XP.

So, yesterday I clean-installed XP, spent a whole day at my pc (what a “nice” way to spend Saturday on :p) and I thought this time it would be ok. Yeahhh right! This morning – same thing! So I browsed the net and I found this forum and couple of topics with same theme but I couldn’t find the problem unfortunately. And now I hope you can help me.

Now let me see what you need to know more…

I am using XP HomeEdt with SP2 (SP2 is already on the cd)
AntiViral Toolkit Pro
Ad Aware SE Pro
No firewalls except XP’s
… and all other info you might need is in my profile I guess :)

Btw, I checked Event Viewer and in System application log. Around time my pc rebooted I have “Warning” for WinMgmt (I checked that out after reading some threads here but it doesn’t says much to me :()

Thanks in advance… [/FONT]

Welcome to TechSpot

You can most likely get rid of that problem by switching off the M$ Indexing service.
Select Start/Run ant type in: services.msc and hit Enter.
Scroll down till you find "Indexing Service". Right-click it, Stop it and set it to Disabled.
Reboot, and you should be a happy girl again!:grinthumb

realblackstuff said:
Welcome to TechSpot
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Thank you! :)[/FONT]

realblackstuff said:
You can most likely get rid of that problem by switching off the M$ Indexing service.
Select Start/Run ant type in: services.msc and hit Enter.
Scroll down till you find "Indexing Service". Right-click it, Stop it and set it to Disabled.
Reboot, and you should be a happy girl again!:grinthumb
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]It was stopped and now i disabled it too and... now I have to find some page where I usually got into trouble :D
But I have a feeling that I'll be back here soon :blush:

We'll see about that "happy girl" thingy ;)[/FONT]

Reboot in Safe Mode (press F8 a few times when the PC is starting up).
If the problem does not happen there, then it's a hardware driver conflict.
Rerun Windows XP Setup from the installation disk, but choose to "repair" XP.

Did you also re-install all the drivers from the motherboard-CD?

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]With Microsoft's Indexing service off - same thing. :([/FONT]
realblackstuff said:
Did you also re-install all the drivers from the motherboard-CD?
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I did. [/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Back to work then... :eek:
Btw, thank you so much for helping me! :)[/FONT]

-----------------------
realblackstuff said:
Reboot in Safe Mode (press F8 a few times when the PC is starting up).
If the problem does not happen there, then it's a hardware driver conflict.
Rerun Windows XP Setup from the installation disk, but choose to "repair" XP.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]No problems in SafeMode... :mad: [/FONT]

From your PC-specs, it might be that the powersupply with only 300W is on the limit.
Try to borrow a more powerful unit from another PC.

Prescotts also have a tendency for running hot. What is your CPU and mobo-temperature? Is the fan on the CPU working, and not full of dust?
Try running the PC with the case open, if that improves the situation, you may have indeed an overheating-issue.
Surf to www.cpuidle.de and D/L Cpuidle. This could lower your CPU-temp. by about 5-10 degrees C.

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Now that's just to much for my limited knowledge about pc's! :unch:
I think I'll try repairing XP (even though I did clean install only yesterday :( ) and if it doesn't fix the problem I just have to send pc back to the store and let them "fix" it.

I really really hate XP![/FONT]

That's a pity really, I thought we were getting along great! You are not walking out on me now, are you?
And I have not even started with any technical mumbo-jumbo!

To get the left side of the case off (as seen facing the front of the PC), either slide it off backwards, or unscrew a few screws on the rear-left side if it is a panel by itself, or unscrew a few more, all around the back, and lift the whole cover off. Use a phillips-screwdriver or maybe they are knurled nuts that come off without tools.

Run the PC for a few hours with the cover off.
Ask for any other details you need.

realblackstuff said:
That's a pity really, I thought we were getting along great! You are not walking out on me now, are you?
[FONT=Comic Sans MS] :D Nope, I am pretty stubborn! [/FONT]

realblackstuff said:
And I have not even started with any technical mumbo-jumbo!
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I can only imagine! (I checked out your profile :haha: )[/FONT]

realblackstuff said:
To get the left side of the case off (as seen facing the front of the PC), either slide it off backwards, or unscrew a few screws on the rear-left side if it is a panel by itself, or unscrew a few more, all around the back, and lift the whole cover off. Use a phillips-screwdriver or maybe they are knurled nuts that come off without tools.

Run the PC for a few hours with the cover off.
Ask for any other details you need.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Before you really make me do this, one question: if “CPU and mobo-temperature” is the problem then if my pc is off for some hours then it shouldn’t be any problems immediately, as soon as I turn it on? It would need time to get hot/overheated, right?
Sorry for asking such stupid questions but I still can’t see any logic in this problem. If that’s the problem, then why no reboots with Opera? [/FONT]

Mictlantecuhtli said:
Now that's quite an achievement :)
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]That’s a bit of a lie ;) [/FONT]

Mictlantecuhtli said:
Are there any chances that you could try other working browsers? You won't get used to them if you don't even try.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]That’s a good point. I tried Opera and I kinda hated it so I guess at the end I might just give up and use some other browser than IE. The Q is which one?[/FONT]

Because IE is heavier on the CPU than any other browser, I just want to make sure there is not an overheating problem in your PC. Overheating can occur in seconds, if the cooler is not properly mounted on the CPU.

Surf over to www.avantbrowser.com and D/L the Avant Browser. This is an overlay over IE, but a lot faster, and feels/handles almost identical to IE. It includes tabbed-browsing, just like Opera and Firefox. It is also lighter on the CPU. It uses the same Favorites as IE and stores new ones also in the same location as IE.
If Avant shows the same BSOD, it is definitely an IE problem.

Perhaps you can give us the website-name where IE dies? (would'nt that be great!)

In that case, go into Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs and see if you can do a repair of IE, or re-install IE over itself.

Mictlantecuhtli said:
Read my previous post again
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I read it but one thing is to read about browsers and whole other to decide which one (for me it’s almost like buying shoes! :haha: ) But I think I’ll go with Avant, I already heard about it, just didn’t had time to check it out.[/FONT]

realblackstuff said:
Overheating can occur in seconds, if the cooler is not properly mounted on the CPU.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]After some little problems – the case is open :)[/FONT]

realblackstuff said:
Perhaps you can give us the website-name where IE dies? (would'nt that be great!)
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Reboot - HERE!!! :D I hope I copied url right. Anyway, it’s the very first url you get from Yahoo when searching for bad_pool_header and that’s the one I use to check things out :unch:

Ok, now off to d.load Avant.[/FONT]

realblackstuff said:
If Avant shows the same BSOD, it is definitely an IE problem.
In that case, go into Control Panel | Add/Remove Programs and see if you can do a repair of IE, or re-install IE over itself.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Same BSOD with Avant!
But in my Control Panel --> Add/Remove i don't have IE :confused: [/FONT]

The proper link is: http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthread.php?t=18119
Under Firefox I have no problem. After I post this answer, I will call up the link in IE and see what happens.
Update: IE works fine for me, but it is so slooooooowwwww!

I use Windows 2000 Pro, so my Control Panel is slightly different. In the Add/Remove programs is a section or button or tab for Microsoft programs. In there you should be able to find IE.
Anyway, TechSpot has its own Info on repairing IE, find it here: https://www.techspot.com/tweaks/ie6/index.shtml

realblackstuff said:
The proper link is: http://forums.tweaktown.com/showthread.php?t=18119
Under Firefox I have no problem. After I post this answer, I will call up the link in IE and see what happens.
Update: IE works fine for me, but it is so slooooooowwwww!
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I clicked on link and... nothing happened! (still on IE) :suspiciou
I think the best solution for me is to switch to some other browser so I'll check out links Mictlantecuhtli gave me. That is if you don't have any other advices?
Btw, can I close my case now? :haha: [/FONT]

realblackstuff said:
I use Windows 2000 Pro, so my Control Panel is slightly different. In the Add/Remove programs is a section or button or tab for Microsoft programs. In there you should be able to find IE.
Anyway, TechSpot has its own Info on repairing IE, find it here: https://www.techspot.com/tweaks/ie6/index.shtml
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I know you aren't that lucky as I am to use XP :D so I know options/settings are different. I found some info on net on how to repair it (some even saying that i need XP reapir in order to repair IE :suspiciou ) and i'll check out your link too :)

If it works - ok. If not - Firefox, Opera... here I come! [/FONT]

Yes, it looks like you can close your (PC-)case. :D

And thank you for commiserating with me, that I don't have that special XP-feeling!
If I can help it, it will never get on any of my PCs either!:eek:

Have you tried clearing all your temp. internet files, cookies, history etc.?
Do you have proper anti-virus and firewall software installed?

If you go for another browser, go for Firefox. It is free, as opposed to Opera, where you have to pay first, if you want to get rid of the adverts in their free version.
When you change to Firefox, download their email-program Thunderbird as well.
Both of them make IE and OE obsolete.
In future, only use IE for Windoze-updates.

realblackstuff said:
Yes, it looks like you can close your (PC-)case.

And thank you for commiserating with me, that I don't have that special XP-feeling!
If I can help it, it will never get on any of my PCs either!
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Case closed! Unfortunately only my PC case and not whole "me-needing-help" case :D
XP feeling… I wish I could avoided it too, I prefer my 2000-feeling, but I couldn't. I hope only that in time I will get to… like it little bit (I know I’ll never love it)[/FONT]

realblackstuff said:
Have you tried clearing all your temp. internet files, cookies, history etc.?
Do you have proper anti-virus and firewall software installed?
/…/
If you go for another browser, go for Firefox. It is free, as opposed to Opera, where you have to pay first, if you want to get rid of the adverts in their free version.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Everything cleared, temp cookies, history… etc
Anti virus is working and is set properly, firewall – for now only XP’s own.

New browser… I will try Firefox. I had Opera and paying is no problem (or better said getting the reg key :D) so I used it without adds but I still didn’t liked it. Maybe it was just me not knowing how to set options to make windows the way I like them but it felt “strange”. So maybe Firefox is something for me since it is obvious that IE doesn’t like me as much as I like him :haha: But first I’ll try to fix it… as soon as I get some free time.
All to all, I just needed someone to tell me (since I don’t believe so much in my logic and knowledge :D) that it can be ONLY IE and not some other more serious problems.[/FONT]

We were nearly there, so we don't give up yet, won't we?
You are holding up well under all the stress I put you through!

Another possibility that just dawned on me, you have 1 GB of memory, is that 2x512MB or 1x1GB?
If 2x512, try running the PC with only 1 memory-stick in it (each in slot 1).
To make sure you don't have memory-problems, surf to www.memtest.org and D/L memtest86+. Run that for a few hours (or overnight). Repeat for each memory module separate, if you have 2 modules.

Olja said:
Same BSOD with Avant!
But in my Control Panel --> Add/Remove i don't have IE :confused:
Avant browser uses Internet Explorer's rendering engine, so I'm not surprised what doesn't work with IE doesn't work with Avant either.

If I remember correctly, the last IE that had uninstall option in Add/Remove Programs was 4.0 (or was it 5.0?).

What prevents you from going back to Windows 2000? Yes, you can't uninstall XP, but you can install 2000 afterwards (even to the same partition), you'll just have settings and applications to reinstall.

realblackstuff said:
We were nearly there, so we don't give up yet, won't we?
You are holding up well under all the stress I put you through!
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I am not giving up until you give up on me :) It’s just that right now I have to w*o*r*k so I have to leave everything you told me to try for later. [/FONT]

realblackstuff said:
Another possibility that just dawned on me, you have 1 GB of memory, is that 2x512MB or 1x1GB?
If 2x512, try running the PC with only 1 memory-stick in it (each in slot 1).
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I have 2x512MB but running PC with only one – i really really have NO IDEA how to do that? [/FONT]

realblackstuff said:
To make sure you don't have memory-problems, surf to www.memtest.org and D/L memtest86+. Run that for a few hours (or overnight). Repeat for each memory module separate, if you have 2 modules.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I am not even sure if IE will let me open the url without rebooting hahaha but that’s one more thing to add to my “to do list”. I hope it is easy to run that memtest and doesn’t need some enormous knowledge to do it? :D [/FONT]

Mictlantecuhtli said:
What prevents you from going back to Windows 2000? Yes, you can't uninstall XP, but you can install 2000 afterwards (even to the same partition), you'll just have settings and applications to reinstall.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Now where did you got that idea that I know how to run two OSystems? :haha: I am good in following instructions, nothing else :haha:

For long time I've been using ME and then 2000 without any problems, and I was really against “upgrading” to XP (after hearing from many that it is really "bad"). But when I decided to buy a new PC some weeks ago, after talking to guys who “know more” and who suggested XP I decided to try it out. Even the guy who put my PC together said it would run best on XP so who am I to complain? :D

I’ll give it some time but if I hate it as much as I do now (somehow this XP makes me feel like a 10-year-old kid with it’s layout and design) I think I’ll just go back to 2000 and forget everything about XP. Not such a big loss, right? :)
[/FONT]

That's the spirit!

When you have time, go here for a nicely illustrated tutorial on how to build your own PC.
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20020918/index.html
Shows you how to open a PC, swap individual items such as RAM, drives, check cables etc.

Let us know how you get on, when you have had time to do all these thingies.
And as Mic said, there IS life after XP (in the form of good old W2K).

realblackstuff said:
That's the spirit!

When you have time, go here for a nicely illustrated tutorial on how to build your own PC.
http://www.tomshardware.com/howto/20020918/index.html
Shows you how to open a PC, swap individual items such as RAM, drives, check cables etc.
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]At the end, you are going to make me change my occupation! :haha:

I have some urgent things to finish but I have booked Thursday for a nice fight with XP… we’ll see at the end who’s the boss ;)
Btw, try to be round here then :D since I am not that strong boss on my own :haha:
[/FONT]

On Thursday morning I'm having breakfast with some big-wigs, among them Paul Mason from Microsoft Ireland. I'll try and nag him about the quality of XP, maybe even wangle a freebie out of him.
Later on I am meeting with a person who has (proven) supernatural gifts, to discuss a new "spiritual" web-site. But later on, in the afternoon and evening, I will be monitoring this forum, so go ahead, I'll be all geared up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back