XP SP2 Computer randomly restarts with various error messages

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello, this is my first post @ TechSpot.

System Stats:
  • Intel D850GB Motherboard
  • Intel Pentium 4 1.7GHz
  • 256 MB GeForce FX5500, formerly 64MB GeForce2MX
  • 256 MB RDRAM
  • Windows XP SP2
  • DSL Connection @ 756kb/s

My computer of 5+ years has been restarting and/or freezing at random recently, sometimes without error messages at logon. When I do get error messages, they are usually in groups and contain one or more of the following error codes:

The codes:
  • 0000001a
  • 0000004e
  • 1000000a
  • 1000008e
  • 100000d1

This issue first started when my computer freezed while I was converting mp3 files to AAC format with OJOSoft Audio Converter. Since then, even after I used System Restore to go back to the point before I installed that program, my computer has been restarting on me at random.

At first I thought it was my video card, because its fan was broken at the time, so I replaced it with my current one (5500). That didn't turn out to be the cause though, as the computer continued to restart. So I sought help online, where I was advised to run ChkDisk, SFC, AV scans and more. After doing all those, my disks turned out clean, my system files replaced, and my normal files all clean as well; but it was still restarting, so I got a reformat.

Post-reformat, I tried testing my memory, which yielded an interesting result. Memtest86+ showed more than 14,000 errors on my RAM, which I thought must have been due to dust, so I decided to do a little spring cleaning. I've tried cleaning my hardware piece by piece with a blower, alcohol and q-tips, to no avail.

I have some dumps attached, I hope they can help whoever takes the time to read this. I'll also gladly provide more information if anyone needs any.

Thanks in advance :D

Memtest errors mean bad RAM, you need to replace it. The fact that you are getting random errors with no particular pattern also points to bad RAM

Hmm, but placing a room fan right next to the open CPU case seems to solve the problem though, which I assume is overheating (RDRAM doesn't have heatsinks). Going with this assumption, what can I do to decrease the overall temp inside the case?

Hmm, but placing a room fan right next to the open CPU case seems to solve the problem though, which I assume is overheating (RDRAM doesn't have heatsinks). Going with this assumption, what can I do to decrease the overall temp inside the case?

Are all fans working, i.e., case, and especially cpu and video card? Do you have dust build up? Are wires and cables blocking air flow?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back